Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I was wondering..... What would happen if I would put 205/65x15 tires on my 2002 156 2.0TS?

Has anybody tried?

What I am hoping will happen is:
1. Gear ratio will change allowing me to do 120km/hr with lower revs, thus decreasing fuel consumption.

2. It will pick me off the ground a bit, increasing ground clearance and making me scrape my splash tray less.

Would some of you clever car peeps shoot some holes in that theory? Whaddayareckon?

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that my main reason is that I have to negotiate a section of quite horrid gravel road on my way to dropping my boy at school, and I would like make my sweetheart a bit more dirt road proof.

Every time I turn onto the gravel road I half expect a little Italian on a vespa to pop out of the bushes to slap me hard in the face for taking his creation on a gravel road, but what can I do?

Any other tips to make her more gravel road proof would also be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
That is a 21mm increase in diameter.
Clearance is already tight, I'm sure they won't fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The dude at the tire place is insisting they would. But I haven't tried. Would there be a way to heighten the suspension a bit to accommodate the bigger tire?

Or what do you reckon is the biggest size that would fit?

Thanks for your help! I can't wait for that alfa suv to come into my budget range.... How awesome would it be to have an off-road alfa?!

·
Registered
30,087 Posts
Raising the suspension won't change the clearance to the suspension upright, which is where the clearance issues will be.

BUT if just raising the suspension is an option for you, then do that and leave the tyres alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts