Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
depends more on the offset and width of the rim i would say

any idea what these are?

a 195/45 is going to be very close to the complete rolling radius of a 205/40, in fact the (205 40 is 2%/12mm smaller!) but have the wider tyre obviously has the benefit of a larger foot print, i.e. grip and better sidewall rigidity, i.e. less body roll but fractionally harsher ride.

but its all wether the width of the rim is suitable for the larger sizes or not.

i'm guessing if they are 16's, they will have a 6.5 or 7j width, in which case anything less than a 195 will be almost into a stretch scenario, so narrow the tyre shape towards the tread, but anything up to around 215/225 40's will fit if you have the 7j width i reckon.

16's are an awkward size nowadays though, making tyres pricey, you're in an odd position where better and bigger tyres, such as 17's would be pleasantly cheaper!

shrew

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
well, at the end of the day, how the car is setup is what its all about.

Have in mind though that different tyre makes could make a difference !
I used Pirelli P-Zero NERO 205/40/17 on my 33 with no issues at all.
The swapped to another make - something temporary - which had deeper thread marks, and I had rubbing on the front wings.
Now I've got Michellin PILOT PE2 tyres, again with the same size, but they are supposed to be more rounded at the edges allowing for the wing clearance, and it sometimes rubs just a little bit.

My point is, that you need to go on the safe side if possible, so you dont have to do this trial and error procedure with expensive tyres ;)

P

·
0 Posts
you're quite right chris, different brands do vary in actual size regardless of the same size being stamped on the side.

Kev will concurr i think, that the cheaper brands really can vary quite a lot, and the dearer, known quality brands can still vary a little but nowhere near as much.

as above, better to air on the side of caution if its possible to rub on anything important,

or,

roll and flare the hell out of the arches, fit spacers, and go as wide as possible!!!!

most folk would suspect that would be my likely approach! ha ha!

shrew

K

·
0 Posts
'tis true, different tyre manufacturers will have different widths for the same size of tyre, michelin tend to be on the wider side of the scale.

for instance.
a 205 width tyre can be between approx 200 to 210mm wide, something along those lines, about that much of a tolerance. can't remember precisely the figures.

anyway. that is based on the widest part of the tyre, measured across the sidewall at its widest part, not the tread width, but only when fitted to the reccomended wheel width. obviously fitting them to wider rims alters the width, ask shrew about the polo wheels :lol:

but back to the point of different brands seemingly to be better or worse for catching, it is entirely plausible. the budget ones tend to be made to the smaller end of the scale and the premium ones the higher end. so a 205 gajah tungal or similar could well be similar in dimensions to a 195 michelin

·
Registered
932 Posts
It was explained to me (by a tyre fitter) that the height of the tyre wall i.e. 45 is a percentage of the tyre width and not 45 mm as i originally thought, so it would explain the differences in tyre manufactuers satistic's and how some maybe suited better to our car.

K

·
0 Posts
It was explained to me (by a tyre fitter) that the height of the tyre wall i.e. 45 is a percentage of the tyre width and not 45 mm as i originally thought, so it would explain the differences in tyre manufactuers satistic's and how some maybe suited better to our car.
very true ian, the 45 is a percentage of the width. :thumbs:

as in 205/45VR16 for example

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm was going to get a set of stock alloys to see if that improves my bone rattling ride. 205/45 may be first on that list now!

P

·
0 Posts
205/50/15 are supposed to be the tyre of choice for 33's,

the best compromise of ride and best balance (under/oversteer) characteristics.

on a 6.5/7 j rim, they look pretty good too

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

shrew

ps - for sale, ha ha! i couldn't resisit!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts