Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys

I went to get my brakes checked on my spider the other day and because the wheels were off anyway I thought a tire check would be a good idea too. I was rather disturb to be told the rear tires were (according to the tire markings) 10 years old! They still had plenty of tread but were quite badly cracked on the inside of the tire (typical just where I couldn't see lol).

Needless to say I had them changed. Surely the mechanics must have got it wrong the cars a 97 R reg and has done a little over 80K, the tires couldn't have done that much milage and still be legal, could they?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The tyre markings were probably correct from an age of manufacture perspective, but it doesn't mean they were fitted at that time, they could have been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years before purchase and fitting to your car. Previous owner may have got a clearance type deal on them and simply not used the car that much.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That said, rear tyres can last an awful long time on a FWD car if not rotated. It would n't surprise me if you could get 50k out of them.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
That said, rear tyres can last an awful long time on a FWD car if not rotated. It would n't surprise me if you could get 50k out of them.
my stilo had 64k on it when i got rid and sill had the original rears with plenty of tread left:lol:

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
Old rear tyres can be a big problem on FWD cars if you never rotate front-rear.

Starting with a new set, I always swap front-rear when the fronts are half worn, all four then reach replacement at the same time.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Old rear tyres can be a big problem on FWD cars if you never rotate front-rear.

Starting with a new set, I always swap front-rear when the fronts are half worn, all four then reach replacement at the same time.
front tyres on my stilo never lasted long enough, 4 sets of fronts to 0 rears, it ate tyres:rant:

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
front tyres on my stilo never lasted long enough, 4 sets of fronts to 0 rears, it ate tyres:rant:
So what stopped you swapping the fronts to the back when they were half worn?

It is because of your situation that the recommendation is to always fit new tyres to the rear...

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
So what stopped you swapping the fronts to the back when they were half worn?

It is because of your situation that the recommendation is to always fit new tyres to the rear...
becasue buying two is cheaper than 4 at £140 a piece:lol:

you underestimate how fast a 2.4 stilo ate its tyres, especially with the GP pack

if the fronts worn, and i swapped back for the fronts, the fronts would then wear again before the rear, so not alot of point in swapping, i didnt have £560 to spend at once on tyres;)

im confused:lol:

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
and you end up with VERY old (and therefor poor performing) rear tyres.... which IS a problem,

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
and you end up with VERY old (and therefor poor performing) rear tyres.... which IS a problem,
not really, the back was never loose and when i got rid the car was only 3 yrs old;) so still tip top, that was doing 2 track days and a weekend at the ring. they still had about 4mm of tread left.

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
remember that the top post in this thread has 10-year old rear tyres...

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
remember that the top post in this thread has 10-year old rear tyres...
true, that is bad,my mates fto had badly cracked tyres, apparently it was like driving on an ice rink, not clever:(

just mentioning front to back doesnt always work;) on another note it also depends what you find easier to control, understeer or oversteer, and how the car performs on worn tyres, whether its predictable or stabs you in the back

R

·
0 Posts
One of my rear tyres is nine years old, and has travelled 80K! :eek:

·
Registered
30,243 Posts
One of my rear tyres is nine years old, and has travelled 80K! :eek:
Rear tyre wear is very low on most FWD cars.
On my 156, a couple of times I've swapped the same set front-back twice to make sure they wear out evenly.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
true, that is bad,my mates fto had badly cracked tyres, apparently it was like driving on an ice rink, not clever:(

just mentioning front to back doesnt always work;) on another note it also depends what you find easier to control, understeer or oversteer, and how the car performs on worn tyres, whether its predictable or stabs you in the back
Surely the solution for you would have been to, when you got your tyres replaced, have the wheels swapped back to front. That way your new rubber was always on the rear wheels, as it should be, you don't have a pair of tyres being left on the car to rot not being worn, and you still only have to replace 2 at a time.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Rear tyre wear is very low on most FWD cars.
On my 156, a couple of times I've swapped the same set front-back twice to make sure they wear out evenly.
i could have done that i suppose, but then, that takes effort:lol:

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
I had a Mitsubishi Colt when I was quite new to driving and maintaining a car, which was 12 years old and had the original rear tyres on it. Had done 120k miles as I remember. They were in a right state. I do as I've described in the post above since that wake up call.

·
Administrator
46,885 Posts
Buy new tyres. Put new tyres on back. Put wheels from back with old un-worn tyres on front.
Job done.
No replacing 4 at a time.
no special effort.
Easy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts