Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be looking to purchase a 147 this weekends, a car that I've had my eyes on for a while... My question is, what should I be looking out for in a 147 as this is 2nd hand car. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Info are:

Alfa Romeo 147 2002
5 door hatchback
2000cc
5 SPEED manual selespeed transmission
46,000km

cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be looking to purchase a 147 this weekends, a car that I've had my eyes on for a while... My question is, what should I be looking out for in a 147 as this is 2nd hand car. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Info are:

Alfa Romeo 147 2002
5 door hatchback
2000cc
46,000km

cheers
Hi Gumden

Two weeks ago I purchased a very similar one to what you are considering, mine being a 2002 45000kms 2.0 TS Manual 5 Door.

Probably the four most important things for you to ensure are buy from a reputable dealer, service records should be available, cambelt done (due at 50000) and NZ new, the last being an absolute must. I was also warned away from selespeed but never considered it anyway as I always drive manuals.

While I purchased this vehicle it has already raised the unfortunate systems failures that seem only too common in this vehicle, that's how I happened across this forum:

Humidity in the diesel (yet it's a petrol car) Glow plug failure
VDC failure
ABS system failure
Rear fog light failure
The car has a misfire in it when under load in 5th gear.

The odometer was flashing at the same time as the climate control stopped working. This has been fixed the rest hasn't and needless to say that after two weeks the only time I get to use my car is to take it back to the service department of Euromarque. They've been good though in trying to remedy the faults at no cost. The brake sensor has been done as has a few other things..time will tell but as I said to my wife, the car'll be brand new by the time they've finished fixing all the problems.

Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick and insightful reply.

Couple of questions.

Why does it have to be NZ new (this would be NZ new)

I will most likely be getting 3 years manufacturers warranty so hopefully, that will pay off and easy my mind for the next 3 years.

How much did you paid for yours?

thanks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Cambelt says it should bechanged every 72k Miles in the book, this was reduced to 32k, and it's very common for cambelts to snap on the 147. Make sure the cambelt has been changed recently, and even better the cambelt and waterpump.

I have a selespeed. I have heard the horror stories but had no problems so far. Make sure you get the selespeed system calibrated once a year, fluid changed, and keep an eye on the fluid level.

If you're not sure walk away, there are plenty of them out there :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about when turning the engine on? what should I be listening for about from the fact that if it would turn on of course.

N

·
0 Posts
Engine Rattle on start-up (Variator, not serious change at same time as cambelt))

Suspension squeaks (Bushes)

Steering wheel judder under braking (Warped front discs)

Battery (They don't last that long 3-4 years tops.)

Aircon blows cold?

CD player skips?

Horn works (switches can go.)

Oil level isn't low? (Running it on low all = future nasty death. Level needs checking roughly every other tankful of fuel.)

That's about it.

There's a link to a buyers' guide somewhere......

;)

·
Registered
44 Posts

Info are:

Alfa Romeo 147 2002
5 door hatchback
2000cc
46,000km

cheers
Hi Gumden,

If you're going for the selespeed make sure all the different modes select all the gears properly. I took one (a 156) for a test before I purchased my 147 manual. The gearstick and city mode worked fine, but the buttons on the steering wheel would only select odd gears. 1st, 3rd, and 5th. It was enough to put me off selespeeds altogether. I've also heard they can be pretty expensive to fix.
And checkout carjam.co.nz to check the history.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tips on purchasing any Alfa Romeo...

1. Buy any other car instead (even if it doesn't drive, it will cause you less trouble than an Alfa)
2. If still interested, read forums for the thousands of problems that you will likely be dealing with throughout your ownership of the car.
3. Consider whether you would mind spending your week nights and weekends underneath your car trying to fix these problems.
4. By the Alfa anyway despite every bit of common sense you possess telling you not to (note: buying a Selespeed model will probably halve your life expectancy).
5. Enjoy

·
Registered
227 Posts

1. Buy any other car instead (even if it doesn't drive, it will cause you less trouble than an Alfa)
2. If still interested, read forums for the thousands of problems that you will likely be dealing with throughout your ownership of the car.
3. Consider whether you would mind spending your week nights and weekends underneath your car trying to fix these problems.
4. By the Alfa anyway despite every bit of common sense you possess telling you not to (note: buying a Selespeed model will probably halve your life expectancy).
5. Enjoy
rubbish...

buy mine, had it a whole year, and nothing has gone wrong. and now it is 6 years old.

just make sure its looked after, and make sure you look after it even better

·
Registered
930 Posts

5. Enjoy
:cheese:

·
Registered
1 Posts
1) oil level - uses quite a lot
2) cambelt changed every 32k?
3) difficulty going to third - knackered synchromesh
4) service history - more is always better
5) squeaky bushings - they get elderly
6) vdc/abs faliure. turn it off and on again - known niggle, can go mad trying to fix.
7) selespeed will make you go even madder
8) make sure all the electrics work
9) cruise control works - usually a switch issue on the pedals
10) make sure the panels fit
11) check the tyres for even wear - they chew up the front

1 - 13 of 13 Posts