Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Have had my 156 2.0 JTS for a while now, and decided I don't need four doors. I had a look around and have found differing viewpoints on this car, and my mechanic also warned me off the V6 for some reason but I sorta just want it...

Just looking for any relevant info that anyone has on buying a manual GT, between 30-60,000 km on the clock.

If I should definitely not buy one, check if certain parts have been done, if there is a year that is worse or better etc etc..

Any help would be wonderful, thanks so much in advance.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Usual V6 issues - cambelts and service history. Other than that, tough as nails. Rest of it is pretty similar to the 156.

Very heavy on petrol if driven hard.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
you are likely to have a lot less problems with the 3.2 V6 than you would on a JTS....

I don't see a down side unless your commute is a long one..then it will hit your pocket for sure.

the usual stuff as already stated...cambelt,and service items..

good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No commute to speak of, just a 5 minute drive to the train station and back Monday to Friday.

The rest of my driving is pleasure, so I'm not too worried about the fuel costs.

Thank you! If there's anything else, please tell me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh another question, does anyone know roughly what it would cost to get the 18's that came with these? I'm in Melbourne, Australia.

I've found one that I'm seriously considering, but it's only got the 17" rims, and the 18" just seems to fill up the wheel arches so much more satisfyingly...

·
Registered
810 Posts
They don't like being driven short distances. And economy is really poor while the engine is cold (think single figures)

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 3.2 gets around 12-13 ltrs/100km around the sururbs of Perth. On a run it gets closer to 9.5-10. I would budget a Q2 diff as a must and have the timing belt changed also. Mine is a 2010 Anniverersary thats done 44000 km and every time I drive it I enjoy it more. Does the vehicle your looking at have the big brakes?

Allan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but these are the two that have caught my eye. Does the blue look like it has the bigger brakes? I've not been to see either of them yet, and I wouldn't know the sizes to compare to be honest.

2008 Alfa Romeo GT
2004 Alfa Romeo GT

In terms of budgeting for the Q2 diff and the timing belt, how much would I be looking at?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think they both do. The black one looks very nice, I think the blue one is missing a cover on the inner guard (under the bonnet shot). I had the Q2 fitted, cv joint boots, clutch and master cyl and a couple of odds and sods done all up $4900 which makes that black GT very attractive as the timing belt has been done fairly recently. It also has the good head lights fitted.

Allan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh thank you. My 156 is black/red, so I wouldn't be too upset with that colour, but the blue/cream just looks amazing. The black does seem like the more logical choice though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ahh thank you. My 156 is black/red, so I wouldn't be too upset with that colour, but the blue/cream just looks amazing. The black does seem like the more logical choice though.
I parked next to a black GT the other day and was very envious, thay do look good in black!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allan

·
Registered
247 Posts
Okay where do we start.

Since owning mine in 2012 brought with 33,000 miles on the clock, here is what I have had done.

New Cambelt, water pump etc, (due to a failing plastic impeller water pump) bit ****ed off cause the car had only done about 6,000 since the cam belt was changed at a main dealer before I bought it, but they don't replace the water pumps when doing the belts apparently.

New thermostat (old one failed)
New temp sensor (old one failed)
New top front suspension arms
New Discs and pads all round
New spark plugs
New cooling system, radiator & hoses
New exhaust system (old one started blowing)
6 new tyres
Now needs a new clutch (but I just done have the money at the minute)

This is my honest opinion on the GT.

3.2 V6 is purely amazing, power delivery is immense, however I don't just drive mine for pleasure I drive it for work as well which sometimes requires motorway journeys and to be honest I just don't use the power all of the time so sometimes it leaves me thinking I am literally just burning money.

The car isn't that refined, ride is pretty hard and noisey when doing over bumps.

The sound is amazing and it puts a smile on your face every-time you drive it, I have thought about selling it many times however when I look at it and think what else I could get for the same money nothing comes close.

Just remember having such a big engine everything costs more, more to run, more tax, more to service, more to repair, front tyres wear quicker due to power and weight, brakes cost more, cam belt replacement costs more, clutch replacement is like 7 hours labour.

Just a few things to keep in mind, do I regret buying one. NO CHANCE!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought mine 1.5 years ago with 55k miles on the clock. Since then it's had...

- Quaiffe diff, the car drives so much better, it should have been standard. They're also much stronger than the standard ones which eventually blow up and can take out the gearbox (quite expensive but worth it)

- The (alfa reconditioned) gearbox turned out to be knackered anyway, so now it's got a GTV 3.0 one, works fine (not so cheap)

- Thermostat, rad hose (cheap)
- Front upper wishbones (cheap)
- 18" cloverleaf wheels because the look nice (expensive but...)
- New xenon headlight because somebody broke it and if was constantly filling up with water (not so cheap)
- Door check straps to stop the clicking (cheap)
- Bits of bodywork here and there

Apart from that, bearing in mind it's a 10 year old car, it's been pretty good! It looks great, sounds great, it's practical, can rip down a country road or cruise on the motorway. The only downsides are the crap turning circle (it's like a cruise ship) and the crap ride (but that can be fixed with new shocks).

Future plans include a new oil cooler and bottom rad pipe because they rust, but that might not be a problem in Australia?

If you're only doing a few miles a day, I'd take it for a long drive once a week, just to open it up and get it properly warm. It'd be a crime not to let that busso V6 sing anyway. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just got one last oktober/november with 42000 km on it. 2004.

- Get xenons if you can. The other ones are rubbish.
- All GT 3.2 came with the big 330 mm brakes.
- Belts and pump every 3 years og 60.000 km in Norway (maybe 4 down under in warmer cllimates) if in doubt, get em done.
- front suspension parts are rubbish, same as other alfas from the same era.
- get a Q2 diff to eliminate gearbox blowouts
- set aside money for a wizard cat back,
- consider some bilsteins or other for a better suspension. Original is quite bouncy.
- get an aftermarket alu shield under the engine, the plastic one is... plastic.
- having fun 1.25 liters pr 10 km's
- boring motorway cruise 0.9-1.0 liters pr 10 km's
- it's front heavy and the little brother (2.0 jts) has better balance (and less powaah)
- be aware of rust in sills and front wings

- did i mention that it has an awesome engine:cheese:

·
Registered
376 Posts
looks like a clean example

- does it have xenons?
- when was the belts done?
- lovin that dashmounted thingy, whatever it is...

i have no idea of car prices down there so no comment on that.. in norway the are around 20.000£ :cry: used.. :cry:

needs a diff at least

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@eivindcl

-Yes it does
-5000km ago
-If it comes with it, I promise I'll send it to you

@Rachelba

The first one I made an offer for - the guy was in the US and I couldn't get hold of him for ages, timezones etc.. Tried him for a few weeks then heard that it was sold weeks even before that by his mechanic.

The second one, we were talking for a few days straight, I made an offer, the guy went silent, then a week later messaged me saying the car had been sold and 'sorry I've been busy with work'.

I bought the gold one :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
@eivindcl

-Yes it does
-5000km ago
-If it comes with it, I promise I'll send it to you

@Rachelba

The first one I made an offer for - the guy was in the US and I couldn't get hold of him for ages, timezones etc.. Tried him for a few weeks then heard that it was sold weeks even before that by his mechanic.

The second one, we were talking for a few days straight, I made an offer, the guy went silent, then a week later messaged me saying the car had been sold and 'sorry I've been busy with work'.

I bought the gold one :)
Your right you were royally screwed around, at least you got one:)

Allan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.