Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have a couple of small chips on my GT and have a touch up set from Alfa ready to use.

I never like doing this sort of thing in fear of making a mess - any tips please on how best to achieve a good match / finish ?

The set has the paint & a laquer.

Once the paint is applied do I wet & dry it to bring it flush with the paintwork or will the sanding just ruin the new paint ?

I'll probably try and use a fine brush to apply it.

TIA,
Mike.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Don't use the dobber that comes with the touch up stick unless the chip is big.

I reckon I've got a good hour to spend with a fine touch up brush and some 130R paint to fill the moonscape that is the front of Clare's GT:(

Take your time, allow to dry in between thin coats.

·
Registered
48 Posts
howdy. when it comes to paint chips i always dab in the paint give it 10 mins or so , wipe lightly with thinners then dab again,takes couple of of goes to build up the paint but the finish is pretty good. hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
i will always over fill the scratch with paint let it dry and then cut it down with scratch-x to the same level as the other paint. i find this is the best wat to do it.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Don't use the dobber that comes with the touch up stick unless the chip is big.
Agreed, I use a very fine artists brush, tiny amount of hairs on it, cost about £1.50 from an art supplies shop.

A

·
0 Posts
For scratches, I rip a small piece piece of thin card and use the ragged edge to paint into the scratch. There's very little goes over the edges that way.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Autopia.org is useful? The sanding pencils? Well, I've used the erasers from a pencil,then cut fine discs with one of those rotational hole punches, ( make an assortment of different sizes) using these 'wee' discs with 1200/1500 grit between coats, as they say.

The discs I stick to the eraser with liquid super glue, and they are easy enough to remove, prior to sticking a new one on. Always use a bar of soap to impregnate the abrasive,stops clogging, Imperial Leather is my favourite!:D:lol:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
For small paint chips a cocktail stick is useful as you have excellent positional control. Dip in the paint, not too much. Position in the chip and let it fill. Remember it doesn't matter if it is a little proud as it will shrink when dry. Reapply if necessary to fill the hole then polish down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If your looking to do it your self then go buy the Mer kit it very good for stone chips and scratchs and it has the polish you need to remove the small scratchs from the wet & dry paper, by the way the paint layer is very thin you build it up with the lacquer coat if it is matalic paint

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For small paint chips a cocktail stick is useful as you have excellent positional control. Dip in the paint, not too much. Position in the chip and let it fill. Remember it doesn't matter if it is a little proud as it will shrink when dry. Reapply if necessary to fill the hole then polish down.
Thanks - i think i'm going to try this method until it's a little proud then rub down with AutoGlym polish. When totally dry i'll try a small coat of lacquer.

How does the lacquer blend in with the existing ?

D

·
0 Posts
Some good tips in here, I got the garage to do the chips on mine before I bought it and I don't know if a chimp or a human was in charge of the paint brush but I could have done a better job with 2" brush and a tin of hammerite with my eyes closed. There's a big black scar on the bonnet now and it's an eyesore.

Going to have to spend some time making it look nice again, sanding down the old airfix paint they used, filling with proper colour matched stuff and lacquering on top.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Thanks - i think i'm going to try this method until it's a little proud then rub down with AutoGlym polish. When totally dry i'll try a small coat of lacquer.

How does the lacquer blend in with the existing ?
Pretty well, but leave the paint sunk a bit so you can fill with the lacquer. Be V careful with the amount of paint, you need hardly any on the stick.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wouldn't it be better to put more paint on - poilsh it down level to get a smooth finsh then apply the lacquer ?

!st coat went on last night and looks 100x better already....used a very fine art brush which was part of a huge set of brushes i purchased from woolies for £1.99 for my daughter :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts