Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new here. :) I'm a 17 year old student, going to university next year, So me and my parents are in search of a new car. My dad being somewhat of a car enthusiast with a love for alfa's he's had since he bought an old 80's GTV long ago, he actually suggested a GTV (the 916 kind) as a first car.. Yeah I know, quite surprised he would've suggested that..

So I've been looking around for GTV's in my country on the net. Found a few, but need a few pointers or possible criteria.. I've seen a few with around 100,000 kms and one in particular with 218,000km's on the clock.. I'd just like to know if anyone has any suggestions regarding at what mileage I should stop considering GTV's, I know that 200,000 is quite a lot for a car like this... But the guy had the engine redone at 180,000 , has regular oil serv, clutch all done..

Thanks in advance. recommendations, tips or the like welcome :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
916s are pretty old anyway, so expect some high miles. My one had over 150k miles on it when I sold it, so don't worry too much about that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as far as Alfa owners go, there should be no apparent problem in buying a second hand GTV with 200,000 km's on the odometer as long as it's been regularly serviced?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Personally I wouldnt touch cars with high miles at this age a car. Hang out as you can get them still with low miles. You dont forget your first car so dont let it be because it was a dog. These GTV's are really cool fun cars but be prepared to get oily hands ;).

As a tip, the plastic topped CF2 engine still has readily available parts but the alloy top TS has the best reputation but some parts are getting harder to source.

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
So as far as Alfa owners go, there should be no apparent problem in buying a second hand GTV with 200,000 km's on the odometer as long as it's been regularly serviced?
Take it for a good long test drive and go with your gut feeling. If it feels like it drives well, the engine revs well etc, then go for it. One of the best TS engines I ever drove was our old 1996 GTV 2.0 TS with 160k on the clock. Don't let mileage put you off, I've got a few Alfas in the family at the minute, one with nearly 190k miles, 2 with 130-135k miles and one with 100k miles, they all drive great and are a long way from retirement.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here. :) I'm a 17 year old student, going to university next year, So me and my parents are in search of a new car. My dad being somewhat of a car enthusiast with a love for alfa's he's had since he bought an old 80's GTV long ago, he actually suggested a GTV (the 916 kind) as a first car.. Yeah I know, quite surprised he would've suggested that..

So I've been looking around for GTV's in my country on the net. Found a few, but need a few pointers or possible criteria.. I've seen a few with around 100,000 kms and one in particular with 218,000km's on the clock.. I'd just like to know if anyone has any suggestions regarding at what mileage I should stop considering GTV's, I know that 200,000 is quite a lot for a car like this... But the guy had the engine redone at 180,000 , has regular oil serv, clutch all done..

Thanks in advance. recommendations, tips or the like welcome :D
Hi Korn

Not sure if you've posted in the South African section yet but thought I'd invite you over just in case: South Africa - Alfa Romeo Forum (I sometimes post in both the 916 and South African sections to get the full range of comments).

The key question is who is going to pay for the maintanence? You or your Dad? If its you then do you have enough money to cover issues which will crop up on 10 year old car.

An example is my 916 Spider 3.0 V6 needs a new Engine mount/stabilizer which in relative terms is a small part but still will cost R815 (I still have to fit it myself). If the cambelt needs a change then you are looking at R6000 - R7000 (every 60 000 - 70 000km is advisable in the V6).

I looked for 8 months for a good GTV/Spider before I found one which was suitable.

There are a couple guys who are possibly selling GTV's so post in the SA section and see what is on offer.

Goodluck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts