Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have your inlet pipes gone a bit rusty or tarnished? Mine have, so I called Alfa Romeo to get a quote for 6 new ones - £27.14 each + the Vat! So I looked into getting them re-plated, until I came across what I thought was a load of nonsense...

Forget the Autosol and Autoglym metal polishes to start with. Dampen some kitchen foil with some Coke, and gently rub onto the pipes. Then apply some good polish and see what happens! I was amazed how they came up, pretty much like new.

I apologise if this is already a known fact amongst everyone, but if it isn't then I thought I would be a handy tip to pass around. I used Tesco Cola, by the way, as being an Alfa owner my budget currently doesn't allow me to buy luxuries like Coca Cola - but I'm sure it works just as well!

·
0 Posts
Am sure I've heard that somewhere else - good tip :) - Mebee the brand of foil is the important bit :lol:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Have your inlet pipes gone a bit rusty or tarnished? Mine have, so I called Alfa Romeo to get a quote for 6 new ones - £27.14 each + the Vat! So I looked into getting them re-plated, until I came across what I thought was a load of nonsense...

Forget the Autosol and Autoglym metal polishes to start with. Dampen some kitchen foil with some Coke, and gently rub onto the pipes. Then apply some good polish and see what happens! I was amazed how they came up, pretty much like new.

I apologise if this is already a known fact amongst everyone, but if it isn't then I thought I would be a handy tip to pass around. I used Tesco Cola, by the way, as being an Alfa owner my budget currently doesn't allow me to buy luxuries like Coca Cola - but I'm sure it works just as well!
Do you mean foil, or roll?:confused:

·
Registered
651 Posts
eldo did you get a quote for re-plating? as mine are past saving.
ive just emailed a company for a quote.......bet its gonna be ££££££££

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Get a picture of a mint V6, blow it up and lay it accross the engine bay, then you have nothing to get your hands dirty with.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
eldo did you get a quote for re-plating? as mine are past saving.
ive just emailed a company for a quote.......bet its gonna be ££££££££
No I didn't get a quote, but the nearest company to me is called Ashford Chroming (01233 660879).

·
0 Posts
just got a quote from a local electroplater = £120 for 6 pipes.............

:rolleyes: back to the drawing board
Shall we start a 'show us yer inlet pipes' thread? :lol: - need to see how bad yours are Rigsby :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts