Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't park on any sort of slope!

Pulled into a park the other night and it wasn't even much of an angle, but apparently enough to make sure petrol couldn't get through to the engine. Car stalled and wouldn't start again.

Let's just say it took a while and a breakdown service truck to sort out.

Doh! Will be making sure it's nowhere near the empty line again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
zoiks, I live in Sheffield, so I pretty much have to always park on a hill, and bloody steep hills too.

I'll have to bear this in mind, definitely need to know if it was facing up or down!

(Makes me wonder how lucky i've been when parking my Saxo on vapour a lot when i get home from work late and decide i'll fill up in the morning)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Painter girl that is not funny at all:lol: . Was also low on petrol 2 days ago but took ny chances only to find traffic was a nightmare, car went off and so did my battery. I will never ever drive with less than half a tank again!!!

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,379 Posts
:lol: I thought I was a tight get - PUT PETROL IN ! :D

Only ran out once in 42 years :eek: and obviously it was a wet dark night on the A15 in the middle of nowhere.

Unless you can depend on a passing friendly swarm of bees to help you out keep a reasonable level in. Seriously you don't want all the dregs from the tank getting into the fuel system, really is not wise to run very low.

J

·
0 Posts
ahhhh!! i did the same thing over the winter!! Its the uphill that kills it! i was in the south of france,on a sunday night,in the middle of nowhere near the Pyrinees and i dont speak Francais!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The petrol light wasn't even on yet so there was still quite a lot left! It was parked slightly uphill and leaning to the right.

At least it was a learning experience - could've been worse timing etc. Was scary watching the tow-truck pick the car up though, it was swinging all over the place!

Now, MOT time tomorrow - wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Happened to me once in my old Volvo on a b road, had to walk 3 miles to get to petrol station and fill up a tank. Felt like a right nubcake.

Ever since I am a lot more careful about it.. !!

J

·
0 Posts
Pick it up?! iv never seen that!but i guess its the norm living in a city...
good luck with the mot,how do you reckon shell do?

·
Registered
227 Posts
This happened to me with my last gtv.. I was backing out of Mrs Diablo's M&D driveway and obviously didn't have enough juice to keep it going... the car stalled (making it difficult to steer) and I narrowly managed to avoid taking out their newly acquired electronic gates....

it taught me the lesson to fill up the moment the petrol light came on.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,379 Posts
But then my car will weigh more and I'll lose .5 secs a lap
(no, wait, that's F1 :lol: )
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoken like another true South Yorkshireman !

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Pointing downhill in a 156 is the way not to do it .......:rolleyes:

Allegedly...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Crossing fingers - there's nothing i'm aware of, but then it has done 99k so anything could happen. A lot of the major bits have been done prior to me so here's hoping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts