Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sound quality produced by my standard Sony (AUG 97 2.0 TS) is extremely tinny,very poor bass, and vastly inferior to any other modern car, even my wife's Daewoo! I suspect it is the speakers. Has anybody replaced standard front speakers with something superior but using original location? Any tips on getting a decent sound appreciated. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there,

I've replaced with Kenwood dualmag's in the original positions in the front, mainly for treble.
They sound good quality - wise, (much better than the originals!) but they aren't designed for bass.
I then made up some MDF 'pods' to house 6.5 inch dualmag's, which i put in the bottom left of the front doors mainly for mid-bass. I'm running both sets of those speakers off of my Sony headunit.
Then you could put 6x9's in the rear shelf or a bass box in the boot to produce the bass you need, running from a decent amp. All in all it creates a simple, well balanced system.
Another tip is to make sure any speakers you put in are well secured to the surface, as this affects bass and sound quality greatly.

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently had a decent set of speakers fitted.

They are in the front 2way 4 inch(10cm) JBL! 402MkII. And in the back in some MDF (between the original location of the speakers) a pair of 4way Pioneer TS-A6988 6*9 inch speakers. Use smaller speakers to fit in the original places behind.

U only have to remove a bit of the plastic wavles under the covers of the front speakers. Because most 2 way speakers are to high to fit under the covers.
You won't see a thing of the speakers fitted but they sound great!

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'lo

I'm just running the standard speaker at the moment. Setup with a quite a high treble setting. I do however have a powerfull 12" Kenwood sun in the boot to fill up the Bass level. A single CD player in the front and it all sounds OK.

It may be that your speakers are shagged anyways. Go get some new funky ones. I know JBL and Kenwood do some very nice replacments.

J

·
Registered
447 Posts
I replaced the front ones with Kenwood 2-way 90W, the rear ones I've trown out and fitted 3-way Kenwood 240W straight into the original board btween the holes from the original speakers, I left the holes open to get a good bassflow. The 240's are powered by a Kenwood 2X200W amp and the had unit is Kenwood's special 20th anniversary edition combined with a 10 cd changer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have standard speakers too but have added a Philips DAP650 amp (to the Philips head unit and 6 cd changer) to power a pair of 12" Eminence Bass Pump subs. I have the bass set at -3 which means that the speakers can go really loud and the bass remains deafening! :cool:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Similar to Rob for me. Alpine 7535 head unit and 600L multichange. Sub volume control just under the head unit that leads to a Jetsound bridgeable 200W amp running an Alpine ZR 10" sub in a ported Tornado box. The box fits in perfectly with no screws as it wedges nicely under the rear parcel shelf cross member and the floor!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts