Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this timing belt/variator talk has got my thinking again. My 1.8 8v -83,000miles rattles its chain on tickover and in general the engine sound rough. Done all the right things, oil every 6K etc - no change in performance just noise.

Just finished restoring a mini(I know??) :rolleyes: which has chain rattle as well, and was told it need the tensioer replaced. Done a search earlier, and found procedure on changing the tensioner, but it was a little unclear. Also does the variator give problems on the 8V.
Jimybob if you're out there!!! :confused:

G

·
right then its easy to shut up the variator on the chain drive engine.take off the rocker cover and set the engine to TDC you should see two small marks one on each cam that line up when on TDC they are one the middle cam caps.if you cant see then make your own marks so you know where the cams sit at TDC.now then loosen the 13mm bolt that holds the chain tensioner(its down the side near the belts)you should now be able to lever the tensioner gear back to loosen off the chain,tighten up the bolt and the chain should be slack now.take out the inlet cam(dont drop the chain down the hole) and then loosen the three bolts in the variator, turn it till its fully clockwise then do up the bolts.put the cam back in making sure it lines up with the marks you found(made)its a bit fiddly getting the chain back on,make sure that there is no excessive slack in the chain between the two cams,then loosen off the 13mm bolt again and the tensioner should tighten the chain,using a lever put a bit more tension on the chain to make sure all the slack is on the tensioner side then tighten up the 13mm bolt put the top on and drive in silence.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jimybob,
Thanks for getting a reply back so soon, sorry I couldn't return sooner.
I have a couple of questions about this job.

(i) To set the cams at the TDC position with the rocket off, do you engage gear and just roll the car until the marks are opposite each other.

(ii) According to the diagram on the CD, the Variator is part of the Inlet cam , and such the Duplex runs on it. Do I need to remove the unit off the end of the camshaft to rotate it through the 360, or just remove the three bolts and twist while holding the camshaft in position.

How accurate is the lining up of the timing marks on the cams once the variator is rotated - is this a hard job, with dangerous outcomes in the timing dept. eek!

Do you have to replace the rocket head gasket after this job?

Is the chain self tension after the job is done or does the bolt need to be secure to maintain a position for the tensioner pulley?

Regards,
Dermot :confused:

G

·
blimey ok first one.

(1) you can roll the car to get the cams on mark the marks should be clear once you get the cover off there is a mark on the cam and a mark on the middle cam cap(inlet and exh)if you take out number one plug and put a long screwdriver down the hole you will feel when the piston is at the top then use the marks.

(2) the variator does come off the cam..you might be able to gain enough slak in the chain to lift it clear and turn the gear without removeing the cam..you only need to loosen the three bolts(very very tight)to be able turn the gear.

(3) the timing marks are there for a reason once you put it all back together turn the engine over by hand twice and re-check the marks to make sure they still line up.

(4) you may as well change the gasket.

(5) the chain is spring loaded once you are sure all the slack is out of the chain you MUST tighten the bolt back up.

duplex.???????????????

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Jimybob,

All this will probably become a bit more obvious when I lift off the cover and look into the heart of the beast. Always a bit worried about messing with the timing , in case I would wave goodbye to all 8v's. Duplex chain no - twin chain :confused:

BTW Do you work on Alfa's everyday in work - Lucky bloke, although you're probably bored at this stage

THANKS AGAIN ALFA TECH GOD - :D :D

Dermot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts