Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I've got a 147 TS Lusso 2003 model. Unfortunately my timing belt went while driving on the motorway. I've taken it in and all my valves are bent and need replaced. Does anyone have any idea how much I'm looking at getting stung for here?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
This happened to me in my 156 and I needed another engine as it was mullered. Got a 2nd hand engine and got all mine sorted for around £800 I think.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you've bent all the valves, you're looking at top end damage, top of the pistons could be knackered and even if you get it all repaired, the chances of bottom end and/or crank failure a few thou miles later is more than likely. I would look at gettinga new engine installed.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
There's a couple of places that advertise on eBay which will do you a re-con engine, fitted, for about £1,250.

You'd need to get the car to them, obviously....

Hope you get it sorted!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll let you know how I get on anyway, The garage has it just now and He's giving me a ring with a quote later on

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Good luck!:) Even if it comes in bit more than the one mentioned above, stick to what you know. If you trust the garage and is local it makes things easier and more convenient.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'll let you know how I get on anyway, The garage has it just now and He's giving me a ring with a quote later on
I seriously would not repair that engine. Even if it is only valves etc, the impact of the pistons against the valves transmits all the way through the engine and more than likely will have damaged the bottom end. The crank will give out maybe after a few thousand miles. Too risky IMO. I've had timing slip on me in a V6, I had the option of swapping out the top end from a second engine I had hanging around saving lots of money. Decided to swap out entire engine in the end and did another 50k kms trouble free before selling it on. Still going strong today I believe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Luck :) . Out of interest if the garage say they can repair it rather than replacing the engine do you think I should go with this? or suggest a new engine and get a price for this?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
get a price for repair vs replace.

when the belts went on my 2.0TS 147 it damanged 12 or 14 of the valves, needed new guides, head remachined to suit... i took the oppertunity to uprate the internals and the engine was still going well some 20k later when i PX'd the car.

for peace of mind see how much a replacement would be but also consider if the repair is done well it should be no trouble to you at all.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
too much lol. about £1450 as I remember it.

Has your car been serviced as per the recommendations? If so give alfa UK a ring as they have been known to pay out for failed cambelts, in a lot of cases goign 50/50 with the car owner :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm Afraid I'm Stuck with that one no service history when I bought it from the dealer, should never have gone with it really but fell in love with it done just over 40k miles should have known better but its easy with Hindsight

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
have you spoke to the dealer who sold the car? They have an obligation to sell a car in acceptable running condition... perhaps they will help out? unlikely i know but worth a phone call?

otherwise best of luck and i hope the car is back on the road very soon

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Get the existing engine rebuilt but make sure they check the crank for damage and get a regrind if necessary, but always replace the big end shells (and mains if reground).

Get them to replace the pistons rings and glaze-bust the bores. Latter will reduce your oil consumption if my engine is anything to go on.

Wise to just check the head to make sure it is flat, etc. You might be able to pick up a good 2nd hand head to drop on to save money.

Sticking a 2nd-hand engine straight in is not a good idea unless you have it stripped and checked first. You just don't know what that one is like and you could be in a similar position after a few weeks/months. Possibility of it have been run low on oil, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer I got it from are bad for weaseling out of things, the warranty they try to sell you is basically worthless some of the clauses in it are unbelievable so i stayed clear.

Thanks for your help anyway I'll let you know how I get on

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Marchionne - Im in Scotland just outside Glasgow

Frank thanks for that advice but I dont think I could trust myself to do it on my own

1 - 20 of 35 Posts