Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a bit of advice.......2 litre twinspark......timing belt with 23,000 miles on it but is 5 years old.......needs to be replaced right?

Am seriously thinking of doing this myself. Looking at the online guides, seems do-able. I know cam locks are a must, but what else do I need in terms of tools besides a standard tool kit.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

John

·
Administrator
87,340 Posts
It's well overdue, the interval was changed from 72K/5 years to 36K/3 years a good few years ago.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Looking for a bit of advice.......2 litre twinspark......timing belt with 23,000 miles on it but is 5 years old.......needs to be replaced right?

Am seriously thinking of doing this myself. Looking at the online guides, seems do-able. I know cam locks are a must, but what else do I need in terms of tools besides a standard tool kit.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

John
Kikih and Mo4 both have tackled them quite recently...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yep it's a very good guide.
The only thing I'd add is that it makes life ALOT easier if you remove the large plug from each cylinder to help with turning over the engine by hand.

D

·
0 Posts
Good link there man also remember to either do the balance belt or leave it off.

·
Registered
5,950 Posts

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Just had mine done
Timing belt €138.93
Shaft belt €70.26
Tensioners
Fan belt €16.69
Thermostat €63.73
Water pump (metal one Rory..!) €62

Also had an inner and outer CV boot done, and both front brake pipes €45
€150 labour, for the lot..! :mygrin1:

Total €546.61

This Spider's starting to get expensive.. :(

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
ah george we could've done those cv joints....... again:lol: seriously though thats a good price

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the advice......am going with all alfa parts, including the water pump. Am also going to give a variator kit a try to see how good it works. This is a project car so a bit of a learning ground. Looking forward to doing the work but dreading turning the key for the first time!

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Aye. My mechanics a good bloke, and Alfa served as well. Not much he doesn't know about them. Handy fella to know.

He's the reason I got the 166 in the first place. So I suppose its his fault that I know you lot. Remember to thank/smack him for that one...:lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A bit cheeky I know, but does anyone have a set of 2l
l cam locks I could rent? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help so far, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5,950 Posts

Johnniep you might be far to nice, polite and friendly for this site!!!:lol:

Best of luck with the job...

·
Registered
345 Posts

I have a set I just did my timing belt in my Spider. You're welcome to borrow them but i'm in Galway which may not suit you. I also have the tools to adjust the two tensioners and the TDC gauge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts