Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it true that the ts will not start if the timing is out even just slightly? have just put belts back on and not running right seems to fire on three yet before changing waterpump ran fine but overheated? any advice gratefully recieved

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Did you use cam locking tools when doing the belt? If not the timing will be out for certain sure.

I would also check the coil packs and wiring have been put back correctly as this may also be the cause.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
Check the small low tension wires that go into the coils and their connectors. Also it may be worth pulling the coil packs out and checking if the part that push against the sparl plugs have any cracks.

I think if anything was wrong with the timng then it would missfire on all cylinders, not just one.

·
Registered
38,289 Posts
You say that it overheated.. There isn't oil in the water or vice versa is there?
I hope the overheating hasn't blown the headgasket. :(

The only real ways to tell are to get the coolant tested for exhaust fumes, and a compression test done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
was overheating but running sweet so i changed therm, water pump (which was dead) variator tensioner and belts. but now its running pants. will try and borrow a compression tester and will be looking at all of the connectors and check the coil packs for any cracks or the like

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the timing belt snapped had all rebuilt and ran fine. i got stuck in traffic a year later and cooked the head gasket blew. had new gasket done but not been able to use it as it was still overheating so i am doing it all over

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
had a look around and cant see any obvious signs so gonne redo the belt incae a tooth out on settings

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i just finished putting it back together and it still the same so how do u get it plugged into a laptop and do you need softwear or special leads

1 - 17 of 17 Posts