Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may be aware, i'm in the process of trying to buy a 159 SW. Paul on here kindly went and viewed and test drove the car on my behalf as he lives near where the car is.

Anyway, i'm curretly in discussion with the garage re the above subject. Paul tells me that when he checked through the service hsitory he saw evidence of the timing belt being changed. However when i have spoken to the garage they say they don't see evidence of the cambelt being changed. As i'm new to Alfa and not particularly mechanical my question is are these the two belts the same thing? and if so would they have been done at the same time?

Any info to help me will be very much appreciated as the garage is trying to charge me for replacing a cambelt when what i'm talking about is a timing belt.

Thanks in advance for your help
Scott

·
Registered
116 Posts
Knock the garage down on price on the basis that it's not been done, then if you discover it has been done you've a nice result :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've just rang the garage and asked them to go through everything again just to be sure and he has assured me that he cannot see any evidence of it being done. He also said it's only costing £200 to get done which seems cheap to me. So it sounds like he's not stiffing me for full labout costs, as i'm sure i've seen on here about £400 at an independant.

If when i get there and check through history/receipts etc myself and see it i'll negotiate something with him on that, but either way £200 seems a very good price

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
I've just rang the garage and asked them to go through everything again just to be sure and he has assured me that he cannot see any evidence of it being done. He also said it's only costing £200 to get done which seems cheap to me. So it sounds like he's not stiffing me for full labout costs, as i'm sure i've seen on here about £400 at an independant.

If when i get there and check through history/receipts etc myself and see it i'll negotiate something with him on that, but either way £200 seems a very good price
£200 is too cheap for cam belt and pump on a 159

If you want to buy the car buy the car and take it to someone that knows what they are doing and get the belt done properly for peace of mind, expect to pay £400, do cheap to twice at best

Ned

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ned, what about if the garage is picking up the labour? Does £200 sound about right for parts?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ned, what about if the garage is picking up the labour? Does £200 sound about right for parts?
Scott
every evidence that they are doing in house in a small workshop I saw when I looked at the car. Their " mechanic" wont be familiar with Alfas. As Ned suggested discount this from the sale price and get it done yourself by an Alfa Indy for peace of mind. If this belt fails the engine is scrap..............

I have a feeling they did the wheel refurb in house as well, so check out the quality of these as well.
Paul

·
Registered
989 Posts
Different car but same scenario.... My gt when I bought it, needed a cambelt change. I was buying from a trusted volvo dealer with a great reputation BUT they changed the cambelt without the correct tools and used tipex to measure the timing! I took it to my local alfa indi but spotted it immediately. He put it right for me but cost £700 to sort out which the garage eventually paid. Be careful! Knock them down £400 and get it done elsewhere or walk away, that's my advice...

·
Registered
650 Posts
sounds like theyre quoting for the cambelt only

you also need to change the cambelt ancillaries and water pump

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Any info to help me will be very much appreciated as the garage is trying to charge me for replacing a cambelt when what i'm talking about is a timing belt.

Thanks in advance for your help
Scott
Cam belt and timing belt are the same thing.

£200 is probably right for just changing the timing belt, but as has been said to do the job properly you must also change the tensioner, idler which will come in the timing belt kit and most importantly the water pump which is the part that causes most belt failures.
This will cost about £350. Parts alone are about £120

·
Registered
766 Posts
Cam belt and timing belt are the same thing.

£200 is probably right for just changing the timing belt, but as has been said to do the job properly you must also change the tensioner, idler which will come in the timing belt kit and most importantly the water pump which is the part that causes most belt failures.
This will cost about £350. Parts alone are about £120
Also get the aux belt and tensioner changed, might as well, if the cambelt and tensioner and water pump is being done at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts