Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Timing belt + water pump was replaced 6 months ago (customer supplied the parts, no tensioner) the tensioner gave way and belt was about to slip off but luckily all timing marks still lined up so fitted a new tensioner and belt.
Fired her up and now bringing up motor control system failure. DTC's p0300, p0301, p0302 + p0303 appear (multiple cylinder misfire, rear bank), and reappear after clearing. I've read and read over forums and all the suggestions as to what could be the problem and am more confused than before. battery, injectors, head gasket, cam sensor, tooth out, etc, etc... Where on earth do I begin? It seems to be running fine, but intermittently struggles just before the message on the dash reappears, or when the radiator fan kicks in sometimes.
alot of hours have been spent on this so far, any help would be very appreciated!

(am going to sleep on it and try a ECU/throttle reset in the morning)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just before anyone else asks you did use cam locking tools and a TDC tool on no1? sorry its just when someone says timing marks it always brings up images of tipex ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no need to apologise.. yes.. :eek: tipex pretty much. Please don't harass me about it, the initial belt change with this method worked with no problems at all. From that response I'm guessing your suggestion would be to go back with those tools and do it properly? They are on order.

·
Registered
226 Posts
mmmm - timing marks? sounds like timing is out. If you paid someone to do it, take it back. If you did it yourself I would do it again but forget timing marks and use a tdc indicator and check you have the right cam locks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, thanks guys. Was hoping it might of been something else knocked loose/damaged, or a coincidental problem. Well my bad.. I'll be patiently awaiting the tools.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
If it struggles intermittently before creating fault codes, that seems unlikely to be related to valve timing. If it's when hot enough for the rad fan to come on, and you're getting a reported misfire, I think I'd suspect coils or crank sensor breakdown. But I have zero hours on AR, so take with a pinch of salt.

·
Registered
226 Posts
actually having had the head off I would be happy from now on using the tdc mark on the crank pulley as it was very precise

I would be inclined to check the timing using the tdc mark on crank pulley and the cam locks to start with

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yea that would be my first suggestion, but i'm also wonering how slack the cam belt got plus how far out it may have been to start and wonder if there has been any contact though to only be one bank would be odd.... though it maybe somthing simple like a electrical/spark problem :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is it normal for the engine management error to come and go? as in starts up fine, then after 30 seconds or so it shows and beeps for 10 or so seconds, then goes away for 30 secs? (struggles just before each time it reappears - which may just be coincidental with the fan kicking in?)
The tensioner was on minimum when the vehicle was brought back to me, as I said the belt wasnt far from slipping off, wearing a track on the plastic cover along its path) Allthough the 'tipex' marks from initial belt change were still visible and lined up the same as the day that belt was fitted - Which didn't miss a beat until the tensioner gave way.
Yeah I cant understand why it would only be the one bank, and it's not like its running rough (as you'd expect if it was continually running on 3 cylinders - unless thats to do with the cycle of the belt re TDC)
Also with the spark/sensor idea, I would of thought that it would throw out a DTC specific to these problems. as of now its just generic misfire, 1,2,3..

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
is it normal for the engine management error to come and go? as in starts up fine, then after 30 seconds or so it shows and beeps for 10 or so seconds, then goes away for 30 secs? (struggles just before each time it reappears - which may just be coincidental with the fan kicking in?)
The tensioner was on minimum when the vehicle was brought back to me, as I said the belt wasnt far from slipping off, wearing a track on the plastic cover along its path) Allthough the 'tipex' marks from initial belt change were still visible and lined up the same as the day that belt was fitted - Which didn't miss a beat until the tensioner gave way.
Yeah I cant understand why it would only be the one bank, and it's not like its running rough (as you'd expect if it was continually running on 3 cylinders - unless thats to do with the cycle of the belt re TDC)
Also with the spark/sensor idea, I would of thought that it would throw out a DTC specific to these problems. as of now its just generic misfire, 1,2,3..
time your engine up properly cam locks dti compulsory or give it to someone who can before you wreck top end or already have:wow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a similar intermittent problem. Sometimes come on and start up and lasts a few days. Come on a few times whilst driving and again lasts a few days. I've been advised it could be a coil pack but is likely the timing is out. Annoying since it was done for a previous owner by an Alfa dealer!

Must get it in soon to sort it, but them the light goes out...

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I've got a similar intermittent problem. Sometimes come on and start up and lasts a few days. Come on a few times whilst driving and again lasts a few days. I've been advised it could be a coil pack but is likely the timing is out. Annoying since it was done for a previous owner by an Alfa dealer!

Must get it in soon to sort it, but them the light goes out...
you must be cllose to st helens .gus at alfatune will sort it but will cost you a belt change ,,ring him for no bull advice :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts