Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Was just poking around with my engine... took these 2 photos of the timing belt. Seems to me the belt is not sitting quite "central" on the pulley (shiny metal visable to one side of it)

Should I be concerned?

Cheers

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
If it's running ok then maybe it is ok? Had similar on DOHC engines I've owned in the past. Has it had a new belt fitted recently?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Just a thought.
Could it be the belt tensioner bearing worn causing the belt to run slightly off centre of the pully.?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Doubt that, as the bright area looks concentric. Those tensioner bearings and idler bearings normally sound pretty rough, as ours did before replacement, but had limited detectable play in them on removal?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
It's always good to hear from folk on AO as when you get a variety of views on a mechanical problem often a joint effort with suggestions arrives at a reasonable conclusion? :):

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's always good to hear from folk on AO as when you get a variety of views on a mechanical problem often a joint effort with suggestions arrives at a reasonable conclusion? :):
I totally agree!!

Cambelt is probably 2/3rds through its life, (changed ~70000, now on 90000) so I was just checking this, should be OK really, I'm sure its within normal tolerances.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never did on my Thema 16v Turbo after and before belt replacement. Nor on some of the FIATS I've had. Never suffered a problem as such personally, but I'm sure someone will offer a scientific/technical reason for this specific occurrence? Belt teeth, subsequent spread over time?? ;)

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I'd push it back while running and if it drifted back to where it is then I'd be worried, but there's nothing physically lining the belt there.
No that's true, but it's the fact that it has clearly been running in the centre and has now moved to the back that concerns me.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Better than edging toward the front and popping off innit'? :D Much ta'do about nothing I reckon, as it can be down to a number of factors having experienced the same in the past with no disastrous happenings at 140mph in the Thema with the belt running the same as in the first illustration. 14 years with that old potent girl and never a cambelt problem:D :lol:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
You only need one failure to err on the side of caution in the future. Belt shouldn't move, that one has, that would worry me.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Mitch mate if I hadn't experienced it myself a number of times and made the same observations I wouldn't of commented on the subject. But as I have, so I did.

If it was my car on that basis I wouldn't be unduly concerned from past experience, and I wouldn't therefore unduly give Turtle 4288 information which may prove inaccurate. Lets be fair some vehicles pop cambelts like shelling peas regardless without a true indication as to the why's and wherefores. :):

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I think you're wrong Zulu, but that's just my opinion. Belt shouldn't move front to back IMO. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but my belt wouldn't fail. This isn't a Thema, it's an Alfa Twinspark, an engine notorious for failing belts. gamble if you like, I wouldn't.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Fair enough mate.:): The old basic method was to flex the belt through a right angle between finger and thumb, as a rough guide to belt tension.

How many belts have you heard of de-railing? Slackening and jumping teeth maybe. Anyway as said I have experienced the same a few times with no ensuing problems. Belt spread, no belt spread ,maybe the cause or may be not. And with that I'm orf' to watch telly, happy cambelt motoring folks. ;) :D :lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
PS. 5yrs or 50K she says looking in her handbook for belt replacement. Women who have to be pedantic about their motors! ;:) :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts