Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The timing belt on my 166 is coming up for seven years old but has only done 35k miles in that time. What are peoples thoughts/experience on age as a reason to change it over miles? My understanding of rubber would say that temperature and stress/relax cycles would be the primary cause of weakening rather than time ...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree with you but fear is a great motivator so I tend to err on the side of caution and have them changed at three years. On my FL TS it was a £300ish job but if it snapped....Having said that the belts on my TS GTV were done about 9 years ago and as I only do about 2K miles a year I keep postponing spending the £300.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you but fear is a great motivator so I tend to err on the side of caution and have them changed at three years. On my FL TS it was a £300ish job but if it snapped....Having said that the belts on my TS GTV were done about 9 years ago and as I only do about 2K miles a year I keep postponing spending the £300.
Nine years eh? That sounds like a fun game. Who's got the oldest timing belt? I changed the belts on my 308 GT4 ten years ago but since it's done zero miles since then I'm disinclined to do it again!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Same dilema on the 164 which is going on for 9 years so will change it pretty soon now. I think it's usually the tensioners that go on the TS and not the actual belt. The rubber in the belt will obviously perish over time and you could loose a tooth or two under stress but I'm pretty sure that anything under 10 years is not going to cause major problemas to the belt itself and the tensioners wear is more related to mileage than age. That's my tuppence worth anyway... All depends on what you're willing to risk!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I need to stop playing this Italian version of Russian Roulette....
I didn't see it myself but the mechanic who just serviced the car said it looked "fine but I can't promise it won't fail". I'm going for another spin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had mine done at 63K - 3 years ago. I will leave it at least another year as now only done 83K. Most probably do it then.

The risk focusses the mind!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts