Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrible news. Few things went wrong with the Brera in the last few weeks. All have been fixed bar the DMF which isn't urgent as yet. But I just cant afford to fix it. Very bad news!!
Its looking like its time to bite the bullet and say goodbye. :(
I'm not sure what a fair asking price is with a dodgy DMF for a 06 Brera with 120,000km?? Anyone any ideas to save it or sell it?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Crap! Ouch, that's a bit of bad news... You've the 2.2 JTS don't you? Same here.. I was always wondering about the dual mass on these... so you're at 52k miles and it's in trouble.. not good, I'm only 3k miles behind you! :wow:

Do you know a non-dealer that can do the work? I was only looking at this last week and found parts as follows on the web:

SACHS - Ref: 2294 000 298 Flywheel €390.00 (ALfa P/n 71746379)
Flywheel for your ALFA ROMEO 159 2.2 JTS (185HP)

more part numbers here I found:

Manufacturer Number Description
ALFA ROMEO 71789801 Flywheel
LUK 415 0514 10 Flywheel
QUINTON HAZELL
QDF191 Flywheel
SACHS
2294 000 298 Flywheel
VALEO
836035 Flywheel

and a SACHS clutch kit- Ref: 3000 970 006 for €170.00
Clutch Kit SACHS - 3000 970 006 for your car lowest prices - Engine compartment - Clutch systems - Clutch Kit - Clutch Kit - 3000 970 006

Is that any use to you? :confused: Mind you I;m sure a friendly motor-factory dealing in €€€ might be able to improve on the prices...

Are you 100% sure is the flywheel?

If you're stuck to have the work done give me a PM and I might be able to put you in touch with someone who has done work for me in the past.

I won't post their name and number here as it's public forum and I don't have his permission etc. But I do trust him with my car! :thumbs:

Again sorry to hear about the costs.... if it's any consolation just going through a bit of cash at the moment with our 1.9JTDm. It always comes at the wrong time :cry: but at 106k miles I can't compain too much I guess...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a good non dealer alright, and I trust the guy. Thanks for the offer though! I have him looking at prices at the minute. Im pretty sure it is the aul flywheel Cathal. Was showing all the symptoms so I said it to the mechanic when I was out last and he confirmed it.

Thanks for all those parts!! They will be a great help if I can figure a way of getting the money together. I would be very sorry to see her go. :(

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Yes parts can add up.:cry: I guess it's a question of how much will it cost to replace versus how much to change etc?

Is there any way of telling if you nurse the car for a period of time will the system survive until you get the parts/funds etc? Does your mechanic think it'll last a week/month?

Can I ask a dumb question please, what are your symtoms out of interest?

EDIT: This place is a few quid cheaper...STG245 ~ €300
--> 2294 000 298

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh page bookmarked. That's a bit cheaper all right. Thanks again!! Actually funny you should ask, the mechanic said this morning that if I don't go "revving the nuts off it" it could last a month. Which is definitely good news. A month is breathing space, so I'll take the chance. (and a trip to the credit union)
The symptoms are a clunky knocking in the Engine, lots of vibration, and the odd kick from the clutch when changing gears.
There are two problems with changing, it would be very hard to sell a big petrol engined car especially with a known issue, and what car would you get after that wouldn't be a let down?!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Good to hear your mechanic thinks it'll last a while... that is a good breathing space alright.
But is it a right pain to have to fork out that kind of cash just for what is basically a clutch! I guess we could kick off the 'is a DMF in a petrol car necessary' debate... :lol:

Yes trying to sell you car with a failing clutch can be a problem to the 'general public'. Personally it wouldn't bother me. A good car with a bad clutch... so what?! It's fixable. But yes, it might cost around €600 to put right, but may cost you a lot more in the selling price.. and then what do you buy? I'm not trying to convince you to keep your car by the way! Honestly...

We were talking about my wife's 159 at home during last week, there and it's up at 106k miles so we're spending a few quid to sort a few things. Most are predicable. But we were thinking do we change the car or put our one right? So we decided to keep it as sometimes the devil you know is better, and imo cheaper too! :thumbs:

I hope the laws of physics are kind to your clutch over the next 4 weeks and it works out well for you... keep us posted... It would be interesting too to see the old unit when it's replaced... wonder what part of it fails?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I'm usually a glass half full sort of person but if the mechanic says a month I wouldn't push my luck! What actually happens if it goes would it cause more damage?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Gav if it goes it wouldn't be good news at all. These things can shatter and then you have basically got shrapnel floating around your gearbox. Which you would like to avoid, putting it mildly... Hopefully it will last the month.

Haha I would like to have a rant or two about the need for one, and why the part is so damn expensive!!

Yea Cathal, you are right about loosing money trying to sell a dodgy car. Hopefully now I can fix it and that will be it for a good while. Thanks for the help, feeling much better about the whole thing now. With any little bit of luck now it will be sorted. Bloody expensive car to run! ;)

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I'm usually a glass half full sort of person but if the mechanic says a month I wouldn't push my luck! What actually happens if it goes would it cause more damage?
I'd agree with you there 100%, if there is a noise/clunk get it sorted asap, but sometimes the funds are just not there :( Then it's a question of what comes first, Payday or Mayday!! :cry: In theory a failing unit at high speed could eat through a bell housing, which is not good.

Haha I would like to have a rant or two about the need for one, and why the part is so damn expensive!!

Yea Cathal, you are right about loosing money trying to sell a dodgy car. Hopefully now I can fix it and that will be it for a good while. Thanks for the help, feeling much better about the whole thing now. With any little bit of luck now it will be sorted. Bloody expensive car to run! ;)
Yes these DMF are terribly expensive to buy / replace. It's a common gripe though on many makes & models. Not looking forward to that bill in the future either. Best of luck and hope it works out ok. :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Would you not try a solid mass flywheel maybe? might be a bit more vibrations through the car but will save on a lot of expense later on if and when they go again :( I know a lot of lads running them in diesel engine cars were the Dmf's cause even more hassle.

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Mr Mushcles , they can be more expensive than women but then again Alfa's dont nag only "niggle " ! :D

Hope you get her sorted :thumbs: (the car that is )

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Would you not try a solid mass flywheel maybe? might be a bit more vibrations through the car but will save on a lot of expense later on if and when they go again :( I know a lot of lads running them in diesel engine cars were the Dmf's cause even more hassle.
I've heard that too....
Good call Damo

D

·
0 Posts
There are two sides to the argument some say you shouldn't fit a solid mass Flywheel but others seem to think they are fine. To be honest, the old mans van has a SMF in it and there doesn't seem to be any vibrations that you really notice through it, unless you are really looking to feel them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am now officially Alfa-less. timing chain decided to give up there on Tuesday. As it stood there was €3,500 worth of repairs to do on it in total. So it had to go. I am a very sad man.

I managed to trade it for an RX8, which is ok. Will have to do until I can afford another Alfa.

·
Administrator
87,331 Posts
Sorry to hear that :( That's big money on repairs alright :eek:

Hopefully you'll be back in an Alfa soon but stick around regardless :thumbs:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah yea, sure how would I pass the time at work without ye guys ;)

Still, will manage to save a bit with the mazda. Little easier on petrol and tax. That much sooner until the next Brera :)

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I am now officially Alfa-less. timing chain decided to give up there on Tuesday. As it stood there was €3,500 worth of repairs to do on it in total. So it had to go. I am a very sad man.

I managed to trade it for an RX8, which is ok. Will have to do until I can afford another Alfa.

Wow.... chain slipped or snapped? :wow: :wow: :( Not good at all.... I knew you had some Pxxx codes relating to the cam-timing some time back, but I thought you were out of the woods at the time.... good god that's not good....

Sorry to hear that... but have to say the RX8 is a great non-Alfa choice of car :thumbs:

Schhhhhh... don't tell anyone, but was looking at a red one here in Cork last week.. just looking mind you... ;)

I wish you the very best with your new 13B-Renesis! Coming into the winter months now, just don't switch that engine off if it's cold! :lol:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I test drove an RX8 about 5 years ago at a dealership. One thing i remember, i was told to rev it just before i turn the key off! .....what the heck is that all about? Thats the last thing i'd ever usually do to any car!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts