Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep - I've had this particular GTV for 8yrs and due to the arrival of my baby boy and lack of safe driveway space I'm thinking I need to let someone else enjoy it as I'm not driving it as often as I'd like.

130k miles, couple of cambelts and never let me down. Photos were taken a couple of months and 1000 miles ago.

This is my first step towards advertising it for sale properly which I've been meaning to do for about 5 years, but never followed through with it..and I'm still thinking.
I only want it to go to an enthusiast and would not let it go as part-ex - unless it was against a diesel GT which I'm thinking is the sensible replacement as I'm doing many miles and need the room and isofixes in the back.

Anyone out there fancy it - or do you know an enthusiast that will look after it as well as I like to think I have over the years?

Gulp.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Damn! That car is beautiful.

Perhaps I could sell a kidney..... ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it stays still long enough - I'll snow foam it! - It's how I do my house windows these days.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, isn't she a pretty peach !!

What is the asking price?
Thanks - very photogenic, I must agree.

In terms of an asking price-I'm not really sure. I've spent thousands on it over the years (as I'm sure we all have on our Alfas) and I don't expect to see that money again, but as you can probably tell, I'm not desperate to sell it. Somewhere north of £2k would get me thinking seriously.

I just hope I don't regret selling it like I did my old Mk2 XR2 which are now fetching silly money for a good one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know what I want most, the cat or the car. :cry:
Unfortunately I don't live with 'Joe' the cat anymore - he is my dad's. I'll have to update the pic with my new cat 'cabbage' - looks pretty much the same, though!

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
If you can get it stored somewhere I'd keep hold of it and perhaps just use it on the odd weekend to keep it running okay.
My big regret is selling my GTV that I'd owned for seven and a half years.
It was a perfect specimen with low mileage and a thick file of paperwork, and needing nothing doing to it.
I just thought it was getting a bit long in the tooth and time for a newer model.
My current 939 Spider isn't half the fun the GTV was :(.

The Busso model is highly desirable these days and yours is in such a beautiful colour :thumbs:.
I expect their value to steadily increase.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm affraid you will regret it once you sold it, it's a very nice specimen. The colour, the electric operated seats, the V6, need I continue? But just keeping it on might just not be an option, right? If it would be, I would just store it away. Drive it occasionally.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Somewhere north of £2k would get me thinking seriously.
I'd be looking to ask for double that price if its in as good a condition as it seems! Do not under price it, well looked after GTVs are worth the money. Mileage should not be a factor if its been looked after, as I've found with my 'new' Nuvola GTV. Looks like a sound GTV to me!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Few more details about the car after a bit of digging..

I bought it in 2006 at 89k miles- it's now done amost 131k miles.

It's had all the important stuff done at WAD during my ownership and by the previous owner that put most the motorway miles on it. I've found about £8-9k in receipts, the big ones listed below.

Big service in 2009 with new radiator, suspension arms, airpipe etc
Timing belt number 2 in 2011 at 121kmiles and a few other bits - bearings slave cylinder etc
October 2012 it had a big brakes overhaul - new pipes, discs and pads and reconditioned calipers.
Last year had a stainless exhaust fitted.

Whilst the car is in great condition it is definitely not a minter and there are plenty of ongoing jobs that I'm always just about to get round to.

The interior really is as close to perfect as you are going to get for a car of this age and mileage - I'm quite anal about how I've looked after it.

I've had less control over the exterior and there are plenty of stonechips and a few blemishes, but it's really not the first thing you notice when you see the car.

If I were to keep the car my 'to do' list would look a bit like this..

Polybush rear suspension - this would make the biggest difference to the car.
Replace camcover gaskets and spruce up engine bay - very slight leak making things a bit messy.
Refurb wheels - these teledials were not on when I bought the car - they're ready for a refurb now.
Aircon - needs a service.
Electric aerial fix - done it once, but this aftermarket one has decided to stay up.
Heated rear screen - has never worked - and never did in my old 2ltr GTV either - never really bothered me.

I've been pretty candid about the condition of the car, just in case any prospective buyers are interested.

If I am going to keep it - I want to make it more awesome so I will get these jobs done. Problem is (and admittedly it's a nice first world problem to have) I need to get rid of my other car (Cayman S) to afford to do them. If I keep both, I'm not sure I can lavish the attention on the GTV I want it to have.
This opens up a Porsche Cayman Vs Alfa GTV discussion - and in my mind it's pretty close. (I was going to chop in the GTV when I bought the cayman but could not bring myself to do it - knowing it would end up in some grotty auction).

Anyways, I'll stop gushing about the Alfa now - getting emotional.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Forgive my ineptitude but what are the levers for on the inside of the seats, thought for a minute you had a drivers seat in the passenger side???

·
Registered
175 Posts
Few more details about the car after a bit of digging..

Problem is (and admittedly it's a nice first world problem to have) I need to get rid of my other car (Cayman S) to afford to do them. If I keep both, I'm not sure I can lavish the attention on the GTV I want it to have.
This opens up a Porsche Cayman Vs Alfa GTV discussion - and in my mind it's pretty close. (I was going to chop in the GTV when I bought the cayman but could not bring myself to do it - knowing it would end up in some grotty auction).
Well, as we all know, Gaymans are comparatively very common whilst decent GTV V6s are getting rarer by the day.

I'd say it's a no brainer - especially if you need the money...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Beautiful car you have. :wow:
I've got to get rid of my 944 that I have had for 13 years to get the next Alfa, which I think I am sure is going to be a busso GTV.
It's just that I find it so difficult to want to part with it, but seeing your car has spurred me on and I will get the 944 sold in the next couple of months. Then, whey hey! Time to fill the garage with a V6 plaything to be cherished for many years.
All the best with the sale, someone is going to be very, very happy.
:thumbs:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgive my ineptitude but what are the levers for on the inside of the seats, thought for a minute you had a drivers seat in the passenger side???
They dump the seats - just like the outer ones. It means you can tip the passenger one from the driver's side which I've never needed to do.

The electric adjustment is nice, but the best thing about these seats is the lateral support - so much better than the standard ones I've had in previous GTVs. Also have a manual lumbar support which is handy on long drives - been to and from Germany a couple of times and gave it a bit of tweak.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, as we all know, Gaymans are comparatively very common whilst decent GTV V6s are getting rarer by the day.

I'd say it's a no brainer - especially if you need the money...
Gaymans? - steady on Clarkson:rolleyes:

Point taken though - the Alfa turns a lot more heads than the Porsche - but that's not why I bought the Porsche - best driving experience I've ever had.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Beautiful car you have. :wow:
I've got to get rid of my 944 that I have had for 13 years to get the next Alfa, which I think I am sure is going to be a busso GTV.
It's just that I find it so difficult to want to part with it, but seeing your car has spurred me on and I will get the 944 sold in the next couple of months. Then, whey hey! Time to fill the garage with a V6 plaything to be cherished for many years.
All the best with the sale, someone is going to be very, very happy.
:thumbs:
That someone may well be me..thanks for sharing the similar sitution. Is it a turbo 944? (it's been on my list for a while...)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts