Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The series 4 spider i bought last year has been sat doing not much for the last few months. Engine is all rebuilt and its running fine i just don't drive it. I think the throttle position is much improved since Dave looked at it and adjusted everything but its still not too comfy. My wife won't drive it and doesn't enjoy traveling in it-it does have that old car feel, which is exactly how the previous owner described it to me- and in spite of me choosing the spider with power steering she won't have a bar of it.
I think fundamentally the relationship between her and the car disappeared when the car went back to the garage for its second months long repair...
I have recently acquired a Blackline GT, which she loves and will drive and still have my eye on a nice 166 3.0 auto facelift......currently bidding on the one on Facebook...
It seems a good time to move it on what with the sun shining and all. I am really asking where best to advertise it and i guess where to pitch it price wise? If i came along to a midlands meeting in it would anyone be willing to give it the once over and offer me a suggestion as to price? Thanks, John.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Sorry you are having to make that decision, but at least you are moving on with another future classic, plus good luck with the 166. Have you given any thought to a 916 spider?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked at the 916 spider. What I want is a Busso in my life. Could really do with an auto attached to it.....

·
Registered
509 Posts
The series 4 spider i bought last year has been sat doing not much for the last few months. Engine is all rebuilt and its running fine i just don't drive it. I think the throttle position is much improved since Dave looked at it and adjusted everything but its still not too comfy. My wife won't drive it and doesn't enjoy traveling in it-it does have that old car feel, which is exactly how the previous owner described it to me- and in spite of me choosing the spider with power steering she won't have a bar of it.
I think fundamentally the relationship between her and the car disappeared when the car went back to the garage for its second months long repair...
I have recently acquired a Blackline GT, which she loves and will drive and still have my eye on a nice 166 3.0 auto facelift......currently bidding on the one on Facebook...
It seems a good time to move it on what with the sun shining and all. I am really asking where best to advertise it and i guess where to pitch it price wise? If i came along to a midlands meeting in it would anyone be willing to give it the once over and offer me a suggestion as to price? Thanks, John.[/QUOT'
'Old car feel' that's quite a good description. The point is of course that although the S4 has modern features like electronic fuel injection and ignition, it's basically an updated 1960s design. As far as the power steering is concerned it really isn't a whole lot lighter than the earlier models. I try and get use out of my spider by using for trips up to the local high st. which is just a bit far to walk. I usually find someone admiring it every time I come back to it, specially as I've been able to leave the hood down with the hood cover over it in this weather recently. Does it make any sense having a fourth vehicle in my household? none at all but it's my merc GLA that's parked in the road while my spider luxuriates under cover!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I enjoy driving the spider in the sun. It's just not floating the boat of my wife or proving capable of the tasks I had in mind. It does drive like an older car as I said. The thought of doing 400 miles in a weekend in it doesn't appeal. The engine issues at the start of the relationship probably ruined the chances of it staying long term. Maybe as an earlier post suggested a more modern spider would work.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I enjoy driving the spider in the sun. It's just not floating the boat of my wife or proving capable of the tasks I had in mind. It does drive like an older car as I said. The thought of doing 400 miles in a weekend in it doesn't appeal. The engine issues at the start of the relationship probably ruined the chances of it staying long term. Maybe as an earlier post suggested a more modern spider would work.
My wife has never seen the appeal of riding shotgun in mine so I have to bribe her with coffee and cake but we have been on some pretty long journeys and as long as there is some motorway involved so she can read her book she's pretty happy, she also uses headphones to listen to music (and drown out the road noise), mind you i use an earplug in my offside ear on motorways otherwise its pretty horrible.
Shame your not staying but I guess older classic aren't for you, just think what it would have been like in some British iron.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
It seems a good time to move it on what with the sun shining and all. I am really asking where best to advertise it and i guess where to pitch it price wise? If i came along to a midlands meeting in it would anyone be willing to give it the once over and offer me a suggestion as to price? Thanks, John.
We (or I to be precise) have driven our S3 spider extensively in Europe. Not because it's comfortable (I am over 6') but because it feels, drives & smells great every time I get in it. Over the last 3 years or so I've spent 000's on it (gearbox, paint, new parts, seats etc) - it could have been a lot worse if I hadn't done jobs myself (rear springs, brakes, fuel system etc). But all that "goes with the territory" ! My suggestion would be, before you chuck it in, take the car for a few decent journeys - for example 100+ miles on a motorway / dual carriageway to get used to it. It does take a little time. Oh yes, don't forget to pack a supply of Nurofen......

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
a 916 Spider won't be anywhere near as comfy over 400 miles as a 166....

I backed out of taking my Spider down to Goodwood two weeks back(2 hours drive) When it came to it I jumped in the GTA and cruised down.

Having said that, the Spider loves A and B roads, and someone will always share their appreciation of the car...mostly Europeans/foreigners as the English round here don't speak to strangers!
Good luck with getting a nice Sportronic...you'll love it, driving in style!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Hi John,

Must be a women thing! My wife never got on with it either which was why it just wasn't getting used and ended up being sold to you.
Someone, somewhere must be able to get on with it. Best of luck with the sale mate.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I agree, its a shame you're not enjoying it but there's no point trying to make it work if it clearly doesn't. My wife likes my S4 a lot but doesn't drive it very much. We have done some long tours in it, in France, and found it fine but the 916 Spider I bought recently is a lot more comfortable. We have just done 1,000 miles going to France in the 916 and it was great on the autoroutes and the B roads.

Like you I wanted a V6 Busso but was keen to have another soft top so the 916 made sense to me. It is great to drive, apart from the clutch which is very heavy. If I can't find a way of lightening the clutch action it may not be a keeper, I can understand why you're thinking of getting an automatic. Do take a good test drive if you do, though -I had a 164 3.0 Super automatic as a company car and the auto box was not very good, it didn't really suit the car. Hopefully the 166 is better.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
We (or I to be precise) have driven our S3 spider extensively in Europe. Not because it's comfortable (I am over 6') but because it feels, drives & smells great every time I get in it. Over the last 3 years or so I've spent 000's on it (gearbox, paint, new parts, seats etc) - it could have been a lot worse if I hadn't done jobs myself (rear springs, brakes, fuel system etc). But all that "goes with the territory" ! My suggestion would be, before you chuck it in, take the car for a few decent journeys - for example 100+ miles on a motorway / dual carriageway to get used to it. It does take a little time. Oh yes, don't forget to pack a supply of Nurofen......
And it always feels great when you arrive somewhere, feels like you've achieved something whereas moderns, no matter how brilliant they are to drive, don't, that's why I bought an old Alfa instead of a modern open top, but it is a personal thing and each to their own, good luck anyway

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I'm very luck in so much as the lady will sit there and 'enjoy' the drive, even if she is sitting the side where the driver normally sits! Mind yo she did 'enjoy' 20 odd years of sailing with me, crossing the channel in a blustery F6 had her sqeeling with delight:titanic: so a road trip in the S2 is a pleasure for her!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have two different categories for classic cars.. those that I buy to look at "Art" and those I like to drive... I love the look of the spider and I would find a place in the garage to keep it if it was not going to be driven again... Just to look at it!

With your 911 and your spider you have some fine art work.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the kind words.
If I had a garage I'm sure that t would be full of cars I never wanted to sell! Unfortunately I have a drive which is one car deep and runs across the front of my house. I had it block paved and if we are all careful- my wife and two of my daughters own and drive their own cars- we can get five cars on the drive. That leaves me a daily driver and a classic/ fun car. I would like a 166 Busso auto and I have just bought a GT BLackline almost by accident so something has to go I'm afraid. The Spider has been unloved by my wife since it first blew it's head gasket stranding us at work.......and she simply won't drive it and moans when asked to travel in it......and it's never going to do our 200 mile each way weekend trips that we now sometimes don't take the 911 on if traffic is heavy- like high summer......comfort and practicality has I'm afraid hit our lives as we get older and the joints hurt more.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Sorry to hear about the sale but c'est la vie and it looks like it will be replaced with something just as good.

My wife isn't allowed anywhere near the driving seat of any of my cars (it's a very long story but another scrape and another speeding ticket just this week will give you a clue!)

She does like to be a passenger though and we've been on a couple of long runs and I'm looking forward to our tour of Brittany in July.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got round to writing the advert for this. I put it in this section of the forum. Not great with computers so was hoping that a mod might put it into the for sale section for me please? It took me two hours to type the advert........

·
Registered
202 Posts
Finally got round to writing the advert for this. I put it in this section of the forum. Not great with computers so was hoping that a mod might put it into the for sale section for me please? It took me two hours to type the advert........
Sorely tempted! I feel for you.

I already have a 91 Veloce automatic which I bought for my wife but which she hates. So I've kept it for myself.

I only bought an auto because she has an auto licence. Still, it is a hoot on the hills around my house in Italy, but a manual..hmm. Although, tolerant as she normally is, I think I'd be crucified if rocked up with another 115:punch:.

GLWTS.

Peter

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The relationships between women and cars have long amused me. My wife and I have been together for twenty seven years and in that time have had many cars. The ones she did not like are fixed firmly in her head and she still has anger about some of them in her. I well remember the day I rocked up outside our house with most of a Saab 99 turbo on the back of a trailer......the 18 months I spent restoring it were a constant joy...she hated that car. It was when finished a beautiful motor and appeared on the Saab owners club stand at the classic cars show NEC. She still hated it and her and the kids came out onto the road and cheered at its departure when I sold it. Women.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
The relationships between women and cars have long amused me. My wife and I have been together for twenty seven years and in that time have had many cars. The ones she did not like are fixed firmly in her head and she still has anger about some of them in her. I well remember the day I rocked up outside our house with most of a Saab 99 turbo on the back of a trailer......the 18 months I spent restoring it were a constant joy...she hated that car. It was when finished a beautiful motor and appeared on the Saab owners club stand at the classic cars show NEC. She still hated it and her and the kids came out onto the road and cheered at its departure when I sold it. Women.....
I know the feeling: mine has residual animus against many of my past Jaguars, various V12 Mercs and a Lancia. OTH, unlike yours, mine never forgave me for getting rid of the 9000SE we had which was becoming a money pit.

She doesn't get Alfas; she loathes my 156 GTA with a passion...which is great because she doesn't want to drive it!

Peter

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my wife likes an automatic gearbox, power, air conditioning,good stereo, comfy seats and a nice colour. Room for our dogs a must. No surprise that she drives a Volvo XC70. I did manage to get the powerful one at least......feel like a geography teacher when I drive it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts