Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I love my GTA I think the sad day has come when I realise I should let her go :( I have a lovely car which does crap mpg and another car which is crap and blooming great on mpg but want something middle of the road that I can use all the time. Now I know you are going to say keep it and use the diesel as a run around but I think I have had enough :eek: I dont drive fast anymore as carnt be arsed with the hassle and if I loose my license I'm totally fooooked!

I have been thinking about possible repalcements and I thought about a Civic Type R but they dont seem to be much better for mpg so would be pointless. Maybe something like this in a different colour :confused:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FIAT+GRANDE+PUNTO/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-111-240-4294960497-4294967253/advert.action?R=200917333163451&distance=102&postcode=PE12+7PA&channel=CARS&make=FIAT&model=GRANDE+PUNTO&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2008&vehicleRegLetter=58

Yep ok I know what your going to say but the mpg is good :rolleyes:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FIAT+GRANDE+PUNTO/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-111-240-4294960497-4294967253/advert.action?R=200839319603197&distance=94&postcode=PE12+7PA&channel=CARS&make=FIAT&model=GRANDE+PUNTO&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2008&vehicleRegLetter=08&loadCapTechSpec=true

So having made my mind up that she has to go my next question is for what sort of figure? She is an 2004, just rolled round to 30k, had its 24k service on 27/6/2008, Q2, belts, waterpump etc all done, new alternator, new N/S drive shaft when service was done, Tarrox Japan Sport drilled & grooved disks and pads, braided hoses front and rear, Red Dot Remap to 261bhp, Autodelta induction kit, will be doing MOT next month.

The only downside is that when I got the car it had just been wrote off and is a Cat D, this was because of the diff blowing. There was no damage to the gearbox at all but I did a check thing on it and it came back as "Cat D damage repairable, cost to repair does not exceed the value of the car" The origional service book with the pre inspection service is missing and the fella I got it off did the 12k service. I have got a replacement book now and have the 24k service interval stamped by Jamie Porters plus I go another spare key.

Any input appreciated ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Its a shame that your having to sell fella, what about a 147 JTD and get it remapped?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Seems a viable option smallville.

As for the car, taking into acocunt for everything inc it being cat d, bit it is obviously a nice example I'd stick it on for about the 8-8.5K price range.

JR

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
My guess will be somewhere between £5.5k to £6k due to the Cat D; if it wasn’t for that I would have said around £8.5k.

I know that the damage was just mechanical but there is a stigma that comes with recorded damage.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Above is true unfortunately - but still as long as you have proof that it was recorded cat D for mechanical damage purposes and not strucutral reasons It shouldn't be de valued as much.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I trust this isn't an Emma issue. Remember Jim, a girlfriend is for Christmas not for life!!

Oh - but it's yellow!

you may get more for it Jim if you ever managed to clean it - best bet is to take it down to a jetwash and spend about a tenner and get it looking like new (or like you've just driven through a field in your case)

will i have to join the fiatforum so i can continue the banter? or shall i just harrass you on facebook?

G

·
0 Posts
Tough one to price with all the work done you've had you'd be looking at least £9000 but the cat D can be a right b*****d when selling so as Barry says you'll have to reduce it some. Hoefully you can still get around £7000. Good luck with the sale

How about a MK V Golf GTI? Still pretty quick and loads cheaper to run. I think they look great in white or black. I sat in a Civic Type R before I got my GT and I felt enclosed and a bit uncomfortable...didn't take it for a drive although I should have for the experience. If you want to stick with Alfa a remapped diesel GT would be a good bet. I relly enjoyed my time with my old one

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
Sorry to hear this Jim :( I know how much you love it but I also understand your reasons for selling. The Fiat looks quite good on paper mate - have no idea what they are like to drive/service etc.. but good luck with it mate :) It is annoying that yours is a CAT D, but at the same time it is a good example and if you find the right buyer and tell them about the differential etc.. you should get an ok price. Maybe someone on here might want it :confused:
Good luck mate - and if you get something other than an Alfa make sure you stick around this place from time to time mate :) its been good having you on here :thumbs:

P.S. Should you decide you want to sell your Autodelta induction kit and replace it with a standard one be sure to let me know :D

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for replies people :D

Hmmmm like I say I'm torn really, one minute I want rid and the next I'm not so sure. My old man says I should keep it because one day it will be worth some money but I dont know, I would like to think that its worth about 8k but I dont know really with the Cat D :(

Steve - She does have soemthing to do with it but only because of the extra miles, I refuse to take her out in my old dears scabby looking Punto :lol: My old man also said "depends how long it is before you need to buy a pram, why you gone red? is she pregnant?" I told him to **** off :lol:

AV - will keep you in mind mate and thanks for the kind words ;)

Will keep you posted!

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
For a replacement car I would suggest a new Bravo. You can get a year old 1.9MJ 150BHP Sport for around £10k now and it is a far superior car to the Punto. (I drive both fairly regularly). The GF has a Bravo and its a great car. Gets 50mpg and goes well. It looks good too (in sport trim anyway) and has loads of kit as standard. Sales pitch over! ;)

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Its a shame that your having to sell fella, what about a 147 JTD and get it remapped?
My 147 JTDm Ti, has got plenty of torque, goes like hell if you want it to, is VERY cheap to insure, and I get brilliant MPG out of it as well. Take one out for a test drive Jim, see what you think, it may be your ideal solution ( hopefully ).....and its still an ALFA !!!!!.....Good Luck.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I much prefer the sound of JTD Jim to Grand Punto Jim. but

Pease dont do it Jimbo !!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just a question that may help buyers understand, not trying to Troll. How does a car get recorded cat D for a machanical failure ?

D

·
0 Posts
<-- 147 JTD, remapped, kevlar clutch sat in my shed waiting to go in when this one eventually gives up the ghost. 48mpg, 180bhp, metallic black with red leather, new cambelt & water pump 6 months ago, new upper front wishbones, rear trailing arms, 4 brand spanking new tyres ...

Interested in a part-ex Jim?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
just out of interest why does a car get declared as a cat D when the mechanical problem would not cost that much to fix?

D

·
0 Posts
Because insurance is a total rip-off, they get unbelievable quotes with extortionate rates so they can write a car off and make a tidy packet stripping it down and flogging the bits off.

It happened to my parents on their 15 year old Nissan Almera. They wrote it off for the sake of a boot door, couple of hundred for them to fix but the scrappy had already siphoned out the fuel, got the tax refund form filled in and had started stripping it before the paperwork was complete. They wanted to keep the car because they've had it since new and although 15 years old and worthless it has never gone wrong on them and reliability is worth more than its value. They had to get the police involved to get it back off the scrap yard. Cheeky f*****s!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Because insurance is a total rip-off, they get unbelievable quotes with extortionate rates so they can write a car off and make a tidy packet stripping it down and flogging the bits off.

It happened to my parents on their 15 year old Nissan Almera. They wrote it off for the sake of a boot door, couple of hundred for them to fix but the scrappy had already siphoned out the fuel, got the tax refund form filled in and had started stripping it before the paperwork was complete. They wanted to keep the car because they've had it since new and although 15 years old and worthless it has never gone wrong on them and reliability is worth more than its value. They had to get the police involved to get it back off the scrap yard. Cheeky f*****s!
The mystery is that a diff would normally be an internal mechanical failure.

If you drive your car through a deep puddle and the engine goes pop the insurance pays out, but not if your camblet snaps or the diff breaks and kills the gearbox.

All I can think of is some physical external object damaging the diff ??? e.g. going down a verge and striking it on somethings ? Im just guessing ?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Shame if you have to sell, but it is understandable, i only average 20mpg in mine but dont do too many miles, so i can get away with it.....

As for the price of your car, again as its cat d and im told no garage will touch a cat d car?!? . I dont mean to sound negative but i would say 7k would be a good call to advertise it at. And for 7k its would break your heart im sure.. I mean what car for that age and mileage can you get for 7k and be even a patch on your motor. Its a shame i know, but i gather you got it rather cheap so the equity wont be as bad.

The 147 q2 in white as a replacement , arent they 170bhp?? and remapped must be pushing 200+??

Or keep the gta and buy a seicento ... much better idea!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts