Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it’s time to draw the line here for my GTV. It is in my shed for over 19 months :rolleyes: .I would love to fix it...timing belt snapped :( but am struggling to justify the cost. I have looked at auto lusso and alternative autos re the parts every month praying that the cost would drop :) on the other hand as most of ye will understand I am hesitant to get rid of the car simply because I like it... for the sound it makes..the way it handles and looks...the way it made me feel while travelling to Kerry and you hear something strange and pray you make it Home :eek: But I do fear that it may be time to grasp the nettle on this and scrap it/sell it or just cough up the cost. Is there anyone out there that could help me on this.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Ok it’s time to draw the line here for my GTV. It is in my shed for over 19 months :rolleyes: .I would love to fix it...timing belt snapped :( but am struggling to justify the cost. I have looked at auto lusso and alternative autos re the parts every month praying that the cost would drop :) on the other hand as most of ye will understand I am hesitant to get rid of the car simply because I like it... for the sound it makes..the way it handles and looks...the way it made me feel while travelling to Kerry and you hear something strange and pray you make it Home :eek: But I do fear that it may be time to grasp the nettle on this and scrap it/sell it or just cough up the cost. Is there anyone out there that could help me on this.
Is this the kind of help you're looking for?
Buy another and keep that as a donor car?
What year is it?
The other option is getting someone to fix it for you..... (Not me)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year is 00 - well looking for some sympathy and empathy as well as some hard facts reagrding pricing to do the job.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Year is 00 - well looking for some sympathy and empathy as well as some hard facts reagrding pricing to do the job.
Dude you know we love you on here!!!

I went through it a few years back with a burnt exhaust valve on an 02 166 TS.
€2.5 later ran it for another 2 and a half years....
The only thing I would say is don't rush into anything but you've anticipated that I see!
Always a killer when your pride and joy is 'sick.'

Have I redeemed myself?

·
Registered
606 Posts
It is a killer when they are sick. If the rest of the car is in good shape I'd say fix it. Because you know that car, and there is always some element of chance in getting a new one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Mufasa - The only thing I rushed into was buying it :) and all the extras to make her shine more!
@ Mushcles - yea rest of the car is in good nick to be fair for a 12yr old car.

But I can see the cost soaring - new pads at this stage front and back, god knows how many of the vavles are bent, suppose do the water pump while the head is off and in the shop, belts tenisors pulleys etc.. where does/would it stop? Any ideas of a ball park figure?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yea its a fright what can happen to them when it goes. But if it wasnt driven you could be lucky with it. Definitely worth a look instead of selling it. You won't get what its worth to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it snapped when i was driving on Christy Ring Bridge on a saturday lunch time (bad palce , bad time)..and like a fool i thought it was just me letting the car cut out by not giving it enought gas..!

·
Registered
606 Posts
ah sure look, this stuff happens. Its a horrible feeling. God that's an awful place for it to go. Ah hopefully its not as big a fix as you think. Might be worth looking into pricing a new engine from Don Baker or equivalent?! I have no idea of the prices so I stand to be corrected on that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what I am looking for a few names of good mechanics - that know gtv and their temperament - and a rought costing otherwise it could be to the crusher....in another 12 months :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i was looking at that..as if it was the bible!
but one one has really said anything re prices>? or if some one would do it a a foxer/mixer

D

·
0 Posts
No bother at all there has to be an engine out there somewhere you not head into the Lee in town and ask them do they have any spare second hand engines you never know what they might have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spare engine - would defo consider that - know of any off hand? Any idea of cost re buying and fitting anyone?
Lee Garage - reading alot of good reports from the thread about them.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
A good mechanic, experienced with Alfa, with a ramp, would change an engine in a day.We'll say he charged you 50 an hour, so something near 4/500 would cover labour.
If you got an engine for free, thats your cost, not allowing for fluids, filters and any issues you may encounter.
You'd buy an engine for anything between 250 or 500 depending on quality. Either way a belt change would be recommended unless you knew the history of the engine in question.
So expect to spend at least 1000 Euro. If you absolutly love the car, thats the way to go, other than that, move on and buy a runner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Big question is why are you changing the engine for a snapped belt as it is only the valves that are damaged and a head change would be a cheaper job

1 - 20 of 25 Posts