Alfa Romeo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
38,055 Posts
[*] purchasing timeframe not specified.
:rolleyes:

Ref the 5 series my last experience was 1992 in a ‘J’ reg 520. That was so quiet I could not work out what was wrong with it when overtaking an XR2 as the engine seemed to cut out. It was off the clock at 7k rpm. Hadn’t noticed.

I shouldn’t worry too much about a quiet petrol, whatever you get will be powered by a “Mr Fusion” :p

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Have you considered buying a 1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Super Duty?

·
Registered
13,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Have you considered buying a 1973 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Super Duty?
No,

I've had a think and a I don't want something as big as a 5 series, so we're back to looking at the 3 series coupes, or similar. Assuming that I can not get the bike in the boot, I can get a rack and stick it on the boot.

Something like this
BMW E46 330Ci M Sport Coupe 2004 Facelift 6 speed manual fsh Sparkling Graphite | eBay

More cylinders than normal, torquey / wafty and hopefully quieter than a Mark V golf diesel.

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
E46's are great, but watch for rust. It can be hidden under the plastic sill covers or inside the suspension turrets.

The E92 is a better car, as long as you either get a 6 pot diesel or the 6 cylinder N52 Petrol (Avoid the N53 and the 4 cylinder models)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
E46 is old hat these days... Not sure I'd consider one a daily, especially a 330i unless you've got reasonably deep pockets or commitment. Arguably it's one of the last old school BMWs before they went all new age looking. The 330i engine is an amazing unit, I'd describe it as efficient as opposed to the dramatics of the Busso.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
A nice 6-pot E46 could be a decent investment. The difficulty is that finding a decent E46 at all is difficult, let alone a 330. People also seem to want an awful lot of money for nice looking ones.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A nice 6-pot E46 could be a decent investment. The difficulty is that finding a decent E46 at all is difficult, let alone a 330. People also seem to want an awful lot of money for nice looking ones.
Damn German prestige premium yes... Anything that isn't a dog on surface value and lower mileage always seem to be priced so silly.

Someone at work has a black 330ci individual, auto but very well kept. Prob won't ever part with it.

I came so close to getting an E46 330i Sport saloon. But I picked a 156 2.5 instead as insurance was literally hundreds cheaper. The BM was a friend's car and he was about to part ex it for a Honda CRV, only wanted £1500 for it 8 years ago.

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
I couldn't even get 2k for my 330ci when I sold it just over 2 years ago. On the face of it, it was very tidy and was probably the most desireable spec. M sport, manual gearbox in silver with black leather. It had done 111k so not a huge amount. The tin worm was appearing underneath though

That M54 engine is a classic, but I would never have another. The N52 in the E92 is at least equal in terms of noise and reliability but is more powerful and more efficient.

The 6 pot diesels are brilliant too, not many cars give the potential for 155mph + and over 50mpg when driven steadily. The later N57 ones are exceptionally quiet as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Large older engine cars tend to scare people off so traditionally go into free fall. As no one wants the repair bills and the market knows people cheap out on looking after them.

The E46 is in the same category as the 156 and likely any sporty (or any) car of that era now. If you've got one and had it years then maybe don't let go but their time is past now unless it's a weekend car or you're willing to invest time, money and effort into looking after it.

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
Large older engine cars tend to scare people off so traditionally go into free fall. As no one wants the repair bills and the market knows people cheap out on looking after them.

The E46 is in the same category as the 156 and likely any sporty (or any) car of that era now. If you've got one and had it years then maybe don't let go but their time is past now unless it's a weekend car or you're willing to invest time, money and effort into looking after it.
This is true about public perception, but I bet in reality a modern small turbocharged, direct injection engine is going to be less reliable and cost more to keep running than an understressed larger normally aspirated one as it gets older.

Public perception also sees that Alfa's are unreliable, VW and Audi as reliable etc...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't think the currently popular small capacity petrol turbos are quite old enough yet to be bangers, then again a friend bought a 1.0t Focus for dirt cheap. I'll have to see when it lets him down big time... He bought a diesel Mondeo and a Passat before then and doesn't seem to have learnt his lesson!!

The smal capacity turbos do scare me a bit as they'll likely be my next main car unless the Cat N Civic I have lives forever.

Meh yeah public perception. When an 07 plate FSI 1.6 Golf can go for £3k on low mileage it's utter madness. Especially when said Golf's central locking will pack up and you need to call the carbon cleaning van because your intake is completely gummed with black tar....

It's as we said before, rust is the killer for the arguably most reliable cars of the 00s and late 90s. It's just people somehow dislike paying for repairs and expect things to just work.

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
I have been looking at spending £16-17k on my next car.

Inevitably I did look at Golf and you don't exactly get much for your money. That sort of money would get an R on a 14 plate and with about 50,000 miles or a GTI on a 65/66 plate with the same mileage.

Octavia VRs which is mechanically the same car but bigger are considerably cheaper, as is the Focus ST. I could get either of those on an 18 plate and with under 20,000 miles for the same money.

BMW 3 series and 1 series sit in the middle depending on model and spec. I was looking an M135i today but i am not sure about the colour. Metallic Valencia orange. I know that is it good to be different but there is a reason not many were sold new...

One good thing that the VAG engines have is that they have both port and direct injection, so the intake valves tend to stay clean. The port injection helps get more fuel into the cylinder at higher RPM as there isn't enough time to get enough fuel in otherwise. That is why a lot of DI engines have lower RPM limits.

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
I couldn't even get 2k for my 330ci when I sold it just over 2 years ago. On the face of it, it was very tidy and was probably the most desireable spec. M sport, manual gearbox in silver with black leather. It had done 111k so not a huge amount. The tin worm was appearing underneath though

That M54 engine is a classic, but I would never have another. The N52 in the E92 is at least equal in terms of noise and reliability but is more powerful and more efficient.

The 6 pot diesels are brilliant too, not many cars give the potential for 155mph + and over 50mpg when driven steadily. The later N57 ones are exceptionally quiet as well.
My E46 330Cd never averaged more than 33-34mpg on a tank. It was the later 204hp version with the 6 speed box too. No obvious faults... :unsure:

It would eek out 38-39mpg on a run, where my 10v would have done 45mpg. I'm not talking about sitting at 70mph with the cruise on, but just "normal" motorway driving.

Reactions: symon

·
Vendor
46,732 Posts
I have been looking at spending £16-17k on my next car.

Inevitably I did look at Golf and you don't exactly get much for your money. That sort of money would get an R on a 14 plate and with about 50,000 miles or a GTI on a 65/66 plate with the same mileage.

Octavia VRs which is mechanically the same car but bigger are considerably cheaper, as is the Focus ST. I could get either of those on an 18 plate and with under 20,000 miles for the same money.

BMW 3 series and 1 series sit in the middle depending on model and spec. I was looking an M135i today but i am not sure about the colour. Metallic Valencia orange. I know that is it good to be different but there is a reason not many were sold new...

One good thing that the VAG engines have is that they have both port and direct injection, so the intake valves tend to stay clean. The port injection helps get more fuel into the cylinder at higher RPM as there isn't enough time to get enough fuel in otherwise. That is why a lot of DI engines have lower RPM limits.
M135i is head & shoulders above all the other cars you mentioned there as a driver's car, but it's nowhere near as good at just being a car. It doesn't have nearly as much space and being a 6 cylinder 3 litre it will probably cost a good chunk more to run.

Octavia VRS estate I could live with.. But then something like that would get me looking at 335i tourings, although they are mostly autos and I can't see myself ever wanting an auto.

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
It is a tricky one. It is a balance between getting something as new and low mileage as possible, but at the same time it needs to be a bit more special than a run of the mill car and have a bit more performance.

I reckon the M135i would average high 20's mpg which would be a bit of a shock compared to the current one. The Golf GTI and Octavia would do mid 30's.

The lack of space isn't too much of an issue as the kids only really go out in the car for the school run. On longer trips family trips I would just take the Alfa.

I could just get a newer 330d or 335d, but the 335d is X drive only and they are both Auto. I was hoping to move away from diesel, but as far as diesels go they are brilliant...

A 640d Gran Coupe would be nice but I am not sure I am in the correct age bracket yet...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Octy vRS is nice but possibly a bit Police Car since they did so well selling them to the law:ROFLMAO:

I know my choice amongst all that, likely the m135i too but were it me spending I might be tempted to get something older and more exotic but a bit cheaper with rest for running costs. Go V8 and drive with the windows down everywhere!

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
The M135i am looking at has an Akrapovic exhaust system on it so does sound quite fruity. I would love a V8, but being older and V8 means that it could be an expensive business keeping it running. Ideally I want a car which won't need too much doing for a few years. My brother has an older Octavia 1.6 diesel and it is a very good "normal" car, with good build quality and reliability, so a VRs should be better again.

That 6 cylinder BMW noise is much better than a 4 cylider though...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yes totally, 4 cylinders seldom sound all that good but they're a packaging and economy compromise. I suppose they're good for a car's handling too...

I had a shortlist of cars if my Civic went and a crummy 1.6 petrol Octavia is on there. Even the hatchback ones have huge boots.

Gone off the idea of a Seat turbo thingy then?

261 - 280 of 285 Posts