Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 18 months or more without a car, I have got bored of sitting next to smelly people, cancelled trains, rail replacement buses and walking to and from train stations in the rain / snow / dark, so it's time for a car then.

Considerations would include the following:
  • A GT, or possibly a Brera (while a 3rd Gtv would be perfect :inlove:, I cannot kill another one :( )
  • A Saab
  • A BMW, I have not had one of those before, although traditionally, I have always had FWD cars.
  • Something suggested / found by one of you!

Requirements
  • It's only going to be me in the car most of the time (I haven't got a St. Bernard), therefore something with two doors would be preferable
  • Power of around 150 bhp or more, I'd suggest at least a 2.0 litre, V6 or straight six could be considerations. I would be using it at least three days a week to do a round trip of about 60 miles.
  • Air conditioning
  • My budget would start at £3,000 and end at £4,500.
Nice to have
Leather seats
Sunroof
There's probably loads of other things but it definitely needs a stereo

Things I am unlikely to consider
A convertible
Audis, Fords, VX220 apart, anything with a V**xh*all badge on it or Mercedes (great engineering but just not my cup of tea), or anything too mainstream, are all out.
Also out are:
Most Japanese stuff, however I did consider an MX3 before I bought the Gtv, so try me.
A Mini - new or old
Volkswagen - Golfs are OK but definitely no Passats zzz

Note that I am drifting in out of getting bored of cars and just saying sod it, I'm getting a Honda accord and being done with it.

Go!

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Brera.
Volvo C30.

After 18 months or more without a car, I have got bored of sitting next to smelly people, cancelled trains, rail replacement buses and walking to and from train stations in the rain / snow / dark, so it's time for a car then.
ADF take note.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Current shape MX5 just about scrapes in, RX8 cheap as chips and very left field.

V6 later version Hyundai coupe- no real pedigree but not a dog.

Renault Megane sport 225, Clio cup?

Or going waftier, Jaaag XKs are down there now, easy meat for an XJR on such low miles for you.

·
Registered
16,327 Posts
I think I'd look for a 3-series coupe with six cylinders.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'll throw a few Japanese possibilities as I expect the Italian ones will quickly be covered!

Integra Type R. Don't dismiss until you drive one. Still one of the best FWD cars ever made and with the B series engine that is just better than the more modern K series. Engines are unbreakable but make sure it's not been ham fistedly modified. Likely to appreciate in value if you get a good one!

RX8 PZ: two leagues above a stock RX8 in the chassis which makes it a very wonderful thing indeed. However, approach with caution. Make sure you pay someone to do a compression test before committing to buying, and check everywhere for corrosion, especially oil lines.

Toyota MR2....no, not the evil handling Mk2, the classic, styled by Rowenta, Mk1. There's a last of the line Mk1 in seemingly mint condition on Auto Trader, well within budget. Another car likely to appreciate in value with an amazing chassis. You could literally throw these into a corner with abandon and you would come out the other end with an ever increasing grin. Again, as with all Japanese cars, corrosion, modifications and imports are your enemy.

Nissan 300ZX: bit more of a long shot here but I love the styling. There are a few unmolested examples left that the Fast & Furious crowd managed to miss in their campaign to add NoS to everything that moves. A lovely 2+2 GT car that does everything a 928 did for a fraction of the price. Engines, if standard, are unbreakable.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
C
Or going waftier, Jaaag XKs are down there now, easy meat for an XJR on such low miles for you.
Lovely cars but most at that price are of the age of the nikasil engine issues. If they haven't been replaced under warranty it's a £10k nightmare waiting to happen!

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barchetta
I don't want a convertible and they only come in that form, right? Or am I missing something

Current shape MX5 just about scrapes in, RX8 cheap as chips and very left field.

V6 later version Hyundai coupe- no real pedigree but not a dog.

Renault Megane sport 225, Clio cup?

No to the MX5 - too many of them about

Hyundai, interesting, I will have a look.
Renault, not quite my style - I prefer something a little more understated
Jaaaaag - not quite in the wafty market just yet!

I'll throw a few Japanese possibilities as I expect the Italian ones will quickly be covered!

Integra Type R. Don't dismiss until you drive one. Still one of the best FWD cars ever made and with the B series engine that is just better than the more modern K series. Engines are unbreakable but make sure it's not been ham fistedly modified. Likely to appreciate in value if you get a good one!

RX8 PZ: two leagues above a stock RX8 in the chassis which makes it a very wonderful thing indeed. However, approach with caution. Make sure you pay someone to do a compression test before committing to buying, and check everywhere for corrosion, especially oil lines.

Toyota MR2....no, not the evil handling Mk2, the classic, styled by Rowenta, Mk1. There's a last of the line Mk1 in seemingly mint condition on Auto Trader, well within budget. Another car likely to appreciate in value with an amazing chassis. You could literally throw these into a corner with abandon and you would come out the other end with an ever increasing grin. Again, as with all Japanese cars, corrosion, modifications and imports are your enemy.

Nissan 300ZX: bit more of a long shot here but I love the styling. There are a few unmolested examples left that the Fast & Furious crowd managed to miss in their campaign to add NoS to everything that moves. A lovely 2+2 GT car that does everything a 928 did for a fraction of the price. Engines, if standard, are unbreakable.
Type R - I don't have a good history with engines :cry:, so I like the idea of one that is unbreakable

RX8 PZ - based on my statement above, probably no - nice looking car though.

Toyota MR2 - it's not top of the list but I do like a car that doesn't fall off the road!

Nissan 300ZX - I will have a look at one but from memory, I don't think the styling is for me

Subaru Legacy, looks anonymous but in B4 twin turbo form is a monster ! :thumbs:
It's that Japanese lack of style, I would lose it in a car park.
And I would have to talk to a bloke at work who sleeps with his WRX at night and I don't want to be doing that.

Just get another GTV.
Nothing mentioned so far will come close.
£4.5k should get a real good 'un but you know that already.
Yes. Yes, I do
And a black or yellow V6 would be sooo beautiful wouldn't it? :cry:

A couple more for the "look at" list

I thought of a Golf R32 briefly but I doubt I would be able to pick one up with my budget.

One of the old Sciroccos but only the V6.

Yes I am a fussy sod.

·
Registered
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
If not a GTV, how about a Fiat Coupe? growly 5pot engine :cool:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Be aware of the E46 and E90 rusting sub frame issues on 3 series. Major expense to fix! When I was looking at E46 M3s a BMW mechanic on Pistonheads said not to touch one with a bargepole over 4 years old!

·
Registered
16,327 Posts
3 series looks **** a nice place to be and it has good grunt, KB
944, just not quite me
Having looked at the Corrado, they're a bit dated aren't they?
Jag & Skoda- too many doors

I am not quite sure what noise I made when I saw this (slight intake of breath) but I can't get away from them and it's black!! :inlove:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...6957172?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ce3077f74
With red leather too! I like the 3-series but I like that GTV more.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts