Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of a play with a Beemer on a road I know very well last night only to be completely blown away by a 330d. Bit of research on the subject led to the following

E46 BMW 330d - In standard form you'd eat it for breakfast, in tuned form 280-290 bhp and 475 lb ft of torque.

It's not bloody fair :mad:

I've been thinking the GTA is quite slow for a while now, it just doesn't feel as quick as it used to and all these diseasels that can be easily tuned up to ludicrous power outputs don't make things any better, few weeks ago I was matched in pace by a diseasel insignia.

I'm seriously thinking of changing my car and after my experience with BMW (our second car which I think is brilliant) I spent a good amount of time looking at E46 M3s last night.

Looks like a good upgrade path on paper, i'll probably end up being ostracised from the forum but C'est La vie. :lol:

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Does performance really bother you that much?

I mean, even if it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with going for an M3, it's undoubtedly an upgrade in a number of ways.

But if having to be faster than everything you meet matters, then the GTA was probably the wrong car all along.

I'm after a TVR at some point in the future - but beyond having a reasonable level of performance I couldn't care less about how fast it is. I want it for the noise it makes and how it looks.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
The darkside is strong in us both Sean... :eek:;)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
This is exactly the trouble with the Marque ... there is no real "upgrade" path ... my tractor is in the same "performance bracket" as the GTA's (ok you boys are still a bit quicker ;)), short of doing something a bit special with a GTV (like putting a V8 in the back), I can't see myself getting another Alfa after this one ...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I was tempted by an M3 a few months ago :eek:

I think it looks great and obviously goes well but the interior when sat behind the wheel was a disappointment for me. I didn’t get to drive it so that might well make up for the interior shortfall.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
One of the many reasons my GTA went was because its performance wasn't worth the cost of running the thing, in fact my turning point was also when I had trouble keeping up with a mates TDi.

The 330d was probably stock too which won't help matters, in stock form there are good for the same sort of 1/4 mile as a GTA which is why it no doubt troubled you as it would handle better than the alfa and cover ground at a similar pace too, the chassis giving the driver a lot more confidence, probably not as visceral an experience though, thats no consolation though eh.

Thing is when I went to try out other marques to replace mine I found that most weren't that much quicker or if they were they didn't give me the feeling, or should I say the thrill of feeling like they were quick which the GTA used to do, in the end my circumstances chnaged and performance petrol was the last thing I needed so I ended up in the GT JTD but whilst I had the GTA I was always trying to find ways to justify the ownership and to be honest there weren't many reasons, it wasn't quite good enough, looked great though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm after a TVR at some point in the future - but beyond having a reasonable level of performance I couldn't care less about how fast it is. I want it for the noise it makes and how it looks.
:thumbs:

My mates 1.4 Astra feels quicker than my GTA round town, the fuel consumption is infinitely better and it's not too uncomfortable or ugly either. But ... there is just something special about the GTA. Big diesels or barry boy Jap crap will undoubtedly embarass me; but £ for £ the GTA is by far the best looking car out there. I think it offers a superb combination of everything; except economy but that's a given for an big (alfa) V6.

I had been thinking of changing for a while, but I really don't know what I would go for. I'm not too bothered about performance; quick is good but becoming increasingly frustrating on clogged up, pot-holed, and camera infested roads. There is just not that much I see that I think "wow" without it being ridiculously out of my price range.

I saw a BMW Z4 M Coupe go past the office window yesterday in gleaming white. Now that did look :cool: .

But I'd love a TVR :D

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Alternatively ... instead of spending £xxxxx on a BMW ( or something ) you could get a turbo charger fitted to your GTA ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
wot about about a mito GTA when its out later this year?
Probably because it will be slower than his current GTA ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Mito GTA will be faster!

240 bhp (standard - imagine a chip @ 300 bhp) + the lower weigth.

It has a turbocharged engine, which means alot of tuning potensiale.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Time to upgrade Ghosty?
Get a 156 GTA..........they are that little bit more special:p

Or keep saving your pennies for that TVR....you know it makes sense!

·
Registered
14,575 Posts

But they look crap with those terrible headlights!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't think you've ever truly been that happy with the car have you Sean? I know you've had a few issues, like most of us, but I do get the feeling you've never really been that happy with it :(

Shame, they are beautiful characterful cars, but of course there are better cars out there, but unfortunately they are other marques.

I often wonder what I'd get next. I look at M3's but with the mileage I do it would cripple me financially in running costs. So then I think I'll get a beater to run around in, and something else for weekends, but then it's two insurances/tax/running costs etc. In the end, I always come back to sticking with the GTA :thumbs:

It's only rumoured to be a 1.75 four-cylinder producing 230bhp though. That's a high output for that size engine, so I imagine it's already running in a pretty highly tuned state. The beauty of the 147 GTA is the engine, the large V6's power delivery is sublime, but I'm pretty sure they'll never use a V6 in a 'small' car again :(

So, unless the 149 GTA is amazing, I'll probably be in a 159 V6 of sorts when I eventually do change.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
You will basically be defecting to the other side - BMW

Why dont you just upgrade your Alfa to what ever you need Turbo or Powerchip or whatever. Better still keep it in the family just get an Alfa 8C that should take care of all your needs 0-100k in 4.2 Secs. :D

But you know what as soon as you bought a faster car your going to find a car thats even faster and want that ! - Ferrari Enzo 3.14 secs 0-100k. !

So the quest is going to be never ending - theres always going to be 1 more car thats that little bit faster out there.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Exactly as above really - it is the natural path of human evolution that leads you to always wanting more.

Really people should grow up about it - I've only just turned 24 and it is clear as day - it seems even people sometimes in their 40's or 50's still have to beat the next boys toys - grow up!

I'll give the same advice to anyone who starts calling something as special as a GTA 'slow'. Get yourself a racing license, a cheap single seater and then you will find out what a non compromise performance car is. Thats what I did and I still don't have the audacity to call a GTA 'quite slow'! But you at least then realise even the so called 'benchmark' of performance vehicles such as the M3 is a compromised, heavy slug.

Being pretty young no doubt I will end up driving/owning faster road cars - but the GTA is a very special package - it can NOT be taken for granted.

Go and get an M3 - join the minions with no imagination

Buy a TVR - would like a supercar but can't afford a proper one

Buy a diesel - drive a thing that will always sound pretty god awful compared to a petrol engine - even with a 'chavspeed' exhaust system. Vanish up the road in an embarassing cloud of black smoke.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some good posts on here and some that come across mildly offensive :rolleyes:

Consider this BMW : 2002 Black M3 SMG2 TV + Nav

Quick (0-60 in 4.5)
Comfortable
Doesn't cost the earth

There isn't really an upgrade path that keeps me in an Alfa and when I look at what I want from a car regardless of badge the M3 does it.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Isnt a service for an M3 something like 800 squid?

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
After 6 years, 2 GTAs (156) and a combined 110k miles, I sometimes think about a change. However, mine was in the bodyshop getting the rusty wing sorted and he ended up with it for 2 weeks (long story!), but I couldn't wait to get it back and when I drove it again I realised its here to stay. I still get a buzz for every journey, no matter where I am going or what I am doing. So think long and hard :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 180 Posts