Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GT JTD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, long story short, I lifted the car (with a widow maker) to remove the front wheels. But lifting/lowering it and screwing/unscrewing wheel studs made the car squeak at the rear (because it moved) - a metal to metal sound, probably coils, springs, suspension or something there? It has been present for long.

All seemed fine until I heard a knocking sound and felt shaking while on my way home - intermittent and at speeds above 25km/h. Didn't notice until the next morning that the car was tilted oddly. I could fit my fist between the left front and rear right wheel gap, and I couldn't fit my fingers through the other two wheel-to-arch gaps, which makes no sense to me (see photos - both wheels are rear with the car just standing. The same, but in reverse, was at the front).

rhwh.jpg lhwh.jpg (Nevermind the rims, I can't get the crusty plastidip off)

What could be causing this? It went back to normal after driving onto some gravel which shook it slightly, but the knocking didn't really stop afterwards. It also ate my tire:
tire.jpg It rubbed against the strut (what do you call it?). Like this. spring.jpg Oddly, though, but the rear right strut that ate the rubber off was the gap that was big enough to fit a fist in. What's going on?

P.S. I probably should not have driven on that ~5km long patched asphalt road the day before - it was unimaginable! It probably broke the suspension.

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,735 Posts
Your suspension damper has collapsed and the spring is now hitting the tire it's a common problem and the damper needs to be replaced.

Reactions: ksydee

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
As above, weld holding spring pan to damper body has failed, common issue, make sure you replace both sides though

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
... and make sure you get the right struts. I'm not sure about specifications of GT suspension but it would be wise to ensure you get the right bits. It may be very easy or take a little researching.

If you are doing it yourself, it may be wise to get new lower bolts which go through the rear suspension lateral arms (in case you find the original ones would be more easily removed by cutting them).

·
Registered
2006 GT JTD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Right so imma check if that one weld is broken. Not sure how that equates to a diagonal ride height disbalance 😃

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Hard to tell, the spring pans rust through commonly on the 147/GT/156, not sure why it would be across opposite corners, but there you go

·
Registered
2006 GT JTD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, so the spring pan is not broken, and the shock absorber is not oily, either. 🤷‍♂️

I want to stress one thing - the tilt of the car seemed visually fine in the end, but it still made a knocking noise which decreased with the slightest acceleration.

By the way, I don't ever recall inspecting my rear right tire, 🤔 it might have been that way already.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You should be able to get a finger between the rear during perch and tyre. If not, get new rear struts.
IMG_20210410_172442.jpg

·
Registered
2006 GT JTD
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You should be able to get a finger between the rear during perch and tyre. If not, get new rear struts.
Oh, neato! I've got less space than that, but nothing is moving out of the ordinary. I suppose it's a false alert on the tire, so I'll try and find the source of that knocking which could be coming from anywhere. 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if that diagonal slant was due to springs or shocks stuck somehow.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ensure the front suspension is ok also.

However, I stress this bit, make sure the spring perches are sitting level, as they are on my car. Normally it is the part of the spring perch which is hidden behind the vertical housing tube of the strut which breaks. This could cause the spring perch to sit at the wrong angle. In any case, the strut you took photo of doesn't look in very good condition.

Knocking sound is normally rear strut mountings. It would be a good idea to get original. I bought a Febi Bilstein one from a local motor factor and it failed in 9 months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts