Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. It seems my enigine has developed a ticking noise at start-up after changing the oil from Selenia 20K to Castrol 10W40 Magnatec. the sound will be heard for a while after the engine starts, probably until the water gets to 90. Any ideea why does it do like this if I am in any danger? The sound can only be heared from outside of the car.
A while ago a buddy from our local forum had this issue after going from Selenia to Aral but can no longer get in touch with him...
Any ideeas? Thx!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are you sure its not the variator? The variator has an oil feed, maybe changing oils has highlighted a problem that was on its oil?

D

·
0 Posts
Self adjusting tensioners I'd put money on it. Have the same noise on start up then goes away after a few mins.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It is not the variator as it has been changed 10k km ago along with cambelt and all tensioners and I remember that it was a different sound. I also tend to believe it is related to oil change, as it started after changing the oil.
Does anybody know if this can be dangerous though?
Is is a good iddea to record it and put it on here?

·
Registered
640 Posts
From what you're describing, it's only on cold starts right?

Is it related to engine speed? (i.e. does it get faster/slower as revs rise/fall)

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have something similar on mine and i originally thought the same as you, i've been told the ts is prone for getting a little crack in the manifold, once it gets warm it seals and all is well again, its an annoying noise but i can just about live with it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it only happens on cold starts and I think it increasing as revving but is hearable only with windows down.After a few minutes after getting worm it stops

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
It does sound like a cracked manifold.

Us Fiat 20VT guys know about them. :rolleyes:

Can you smell fumes in the car if you switch on the heater when the car is started from cold?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep I also am a previous Fiat coupe 20vt wner and yep it sounds like a cracked manifold to me. What is it with Italians and manifolds ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2 litre CF3 sportwagon 156 and he had a cracked manifold as well.

The CF3 cars do seem to suffer cracked manifolds for some reason.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
hydrolic lifters make that nois and can go away once engine is warm, could be a clog in the oilways causing a lack of oil pressure to the lifters, once oil is at operating temp then its thinner and will get past blockages easyer

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is there any chance to be because of the oil filter?
Symon, can you please explain to me what is CF3? Thx! I'm not so good with mechanics but I'm pretty sure the sound was not present before I changed oil, oil filter, air and the other filter consisting out of 2 bits(2500 km ago) , so I'm trying to link it to the oil or oil filter.
Pcbuild can you please tell me how can I check this? Is there any way to clean the engine? (Heard of some oil needed for this but my car is 5 years old and 85000 KM on the clock so wouldn't this be a bit too early for oil clog?). Or maybe this Castrol is a bit thicker (it eats much less than Selenia) and the oil ways are really cloged and need to be cleaned?

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
CF3 means the car meets Euro 3 emmision regulations. I am pretty sure all 147 petrols are CF3.

The exhaust manifold has 2 pre cats on it which adds to the loading on the welds.

As for the oil filter, it might be that but all decent brands should be OK as long as they have a non return valve.

It may also be worth removing the cam cover and having a look at the cam lobes. They have been known to wear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it is euro3, it has the two cats you are saying about.
Symon, you tend to scare me... :( I think it has very few KM on the clock, was serviced regularily to expect that kind of wear. As I said I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new oil change, oil being thicker, so can anybody say if I should continue driving like this?
I just posted some movies, maybe they can help someone to give an opinion, THX!
YouTube - alfa start sound
YouTube - after start sound
YouTube - alfa after getting a bit worm

D

·
0 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2 litre CF3 sportwagon 156 and he had a cracked manifold as well.

The CF3 cars do seem to suffer cracked manifolds for some reason.
Extra weight of them fool of a thing that are cats. My manifold seems to be fine but have a ticking too must have a better look at it again to be sure

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Yes it is euro3, it has the two cats you are saying about.
Symon, you tend to scare me... :( I think it has very few KM on the clock, was serviced regularily to expect that kind of wear. As I said I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new oil change, oil being thicker, so can anybody say if I should continue driving like this?
I just posted some movies, maybe they can help someone to give an opinion, THX!
YouTube - alfa start sound
YouTube - after start sound
YouTube - alfa after getting a bit worm
I don't mean to worry you. I still think you should check the cams though. The quality of the hardening on some cams is not great, and that combined with the long service intervals tha Alfa specify are not an ideal combination. :)

I am sure it won't be that though, but it is worth a check for peace of mind. If worn cams are left in the engine it will cause even more problems later on.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
That noise if I heard right, has a rubbing sound to it, this would lead me towards the belts or even the Alternator. It certainly looked like your battery light stayed on after the start up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts