Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new gearbox is all lovely and smooth and also now doesn't jump out of gear but I noticed that my fuel consumption has dropped.

Normally I manage 33mpg driving fairly normally but now I have to drive very carefully to scrape 30mpg.

It may be my imagination but the gearbox feels "tight". Is there some sort of shimming adjustment possible for the internals, or is this a normal phenomenom that may disappear as the 'box beds in. I don't have to run the gearbox in as such, do I?

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the full Monty - recon gearbox from AR in Milano. Shiny housing and all.

I can't fault it, other than I can sense it's not as "loose" as the old one (132k) and my fuel consumption has sagged a bit since I had it fitted.

Ralf S.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would expect the gear change to be tight for a few hundred miles but not realy the actual running of it give it 500 miles or so and if its still tight take it in for an oil change and get some synthetic oil put in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers. Do you have a favourite suggested lubricant?

I don't know what's in there at the moment.

Ralf S.

·
Banned
477 Posts
yeah and the fact he's got a tight box! :D
Am I allowed to be cheeky as I'm a newbie?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bugger...how did I miss this one eek!

I've always found a good lubricant loosens a tight box, if you play with the stick hard enough in the box it'll stir the fluids up nicely!!

Eerrrrrr..can I say that?? :eek: :eek:

Sorry guys, no idea whats lubricating me box at the moment but it will have something synthetic in it soon............if I'm lucky wink

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes... wrinx likes to play with his stick in a well lubricated box inside Dennis...

your true colours are showing now :D :D :D

J

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eek! eek! was trying to get rid of this new found beardie image (cheers H!) but seem to have started another rumour now :( :(

wrinx :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts