Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a problem with my GTV today - I was in Cambridgeshire and, as I had a couple of hours to spare whilst it was sorted I went to Duxford - Imperial War Museum aircraft site.

I've been there before but it has really come on - the exhibition halls (hangers) are great - they have everything there.

On the spur of the moment I saw that you could have a 15 minute trial flight in a Tiger Moth - I asked how much and as told £89 - seemed a bit more than I was prepared to pay - then it was reduced to £70 - OK a lot for 15 minutes - but - what the hell - I did it.

You get to take the controls - loved it - about as sensitive as a glider but needs more strength to move as you are combating the torque of the engine. 15 minutes felt like 5 and I LOVED it.

My point - anyone else had some totally unexpected free time which ended up with them doing something unplanned, expensive but enjoyable? (Yeah you can include THAT too).

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
I had a problem with my GTV today - I was in Cambridgeshire and, as I had a couple of hours to spare whilst it was sorted I went to Duxford - Imperial War Museum aircraft site.

I've been there before but it has really come on - the exhibition halls (hangers) are great - they have everything there.

On the spur of the moment I saw that you could have a 15 minute trial flight in a Tiger Moth - I asked how much and as told £89 - seemed a bit more than I was prepared to pay - then it was reduced to £70 - OK a lot for 15 minutes - but - what the hell - I did it.

You get to take the controls - loved it - about as sensitive as a glider but needs more strength to move as you are combating the torque of the engine. 15 minutes felt like 5 and I LOVED it.

My point - anyone else had some totally unexpected free time which ended up with them doing something unplanned, expensive but enjoyable? (Yeah you can include THAT too).
That sounds like a wonderful, memorable experience and well worth the price.

H

·
0 Posts
Pictures Paul ? :D

I spent £20 when I had a spare 10 minutes and wandered into Maplins :)

I bought a stupid kids toy but it flew and I had the remote to make it fly :cool:

Then I had to have a bigger and better one and I'm now over £200 down on buying remote control helicopters :cry:

But I had fun playing with the 4 channel today on the field next door :thumbs:

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures Paul ? :D

I spent £20 when I had a spare 10 minutes and wandered into Maplins :)

I bought a stupid kids toy but it flew and I had the remote to make it fly :cool:

Then I had to have a bigger and better one and I'm now over £200 down on buying remote control helicopters :cry:

But I had fun playing with the 4 channel today on the field next door :thumbs:
Hi Tony - yes - there is an onboard camera which records the whole flight - you can buy it on DVD for £46 - I declined.

With you on the helis still though - managed to damage the E325 again recently - luckily (?) my stock of pre-bought spares were enough to repair it.

H

·
0 Posts
Hi Tony - yes - there is an onboard camera which records the whole flight - you can buy it on DVD for £46 - I declined.

With you on the helis still though - managed to damage the E325 again recently - luckily (?) my stock of pre-bought spares were enough to repair it.
Don't blame you mate £46 after paying £70 for the flight is a bit steep :tut:

No damage today apart from my poor hands after having to retrive the Apache from a very deep Nettle patch :cry:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The DVD sounds expensive.

The flight sounds fairly reasonable if you take in the fuel and what a pilot earn's an hour. I think it's worth it for a one off treat for yourself.

Nice one, Paul:thumbs:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
That's great Paul :thumbs: I might try that.

I went to the Daytona Experience and ended up doing three laps in a NASCAR :wow:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds great fun that does. Told some before: my first airborne experience was a seven and sixpence pleasure flight around Luton in about 1947, with my dad, and of course a pilot,:D when Luton was just a private flying club. We would often pick mushrooms early morning before going to school on Lutons airfield. :thumbs: Doubt I'd risk that now though? :lol:

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SWe would often pick mushrooms early morning before going to school on Lutons airfield. :thumbs: Doubt I'd risk that now though? :lol:
Eat mushrooms and fly - hmmm - seems like a plan Z.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
And PaulR, we risked passing by Spittlesea Isolation Hospital for infectious respiratory diseases (Big Red Warning Signs displayed :(: ) on the lane that lead up to that grassy airfield in those post war years!! Enterprising mushroom picking kids were we not?:):

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And PaulR, we risked passing by Spittlesea Isolation Hospital for infectious respiratory diseases (Big Red Warning Signs displayed :(: ) on the lane that lead up to that grassy airfield in those post war years!! Enterprising mushroom picking kids were we not?:):
It was so much simpler before "risks" were assessed.

Life is a risk - on balance an assessment would probably say life is too dangerous.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
The main building of the hospital, quite large nice traditional bricks and mortar structure is now some sort of company offices, and can be viewed from the southerly airport car park when you are picked up by one of the shuttle buses iirc? Hope all of the bugs were exterminated post '47? :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts