Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side front indicator bulb went, on the GT. Replaced with a H21W, and not the P21W as in the manual, as its wrong.

Bulb is working, but I'm still getting the annoying fast flash, and ticky ticky noise from the instrument panel, when indicating left or hazards on.

Put my diagnostic hand-held-china special OBD reader, on it. No errors found.

Any ideas, before I go mental, or resort to earplugs..:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ta, in advance..

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Replace the bulb in the rear light / side repeater with the "right" one. By changing the front bulb to a halogen, it sounds like you've un balanced the circuit .

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both the front indicators are H21W, it was a H21W that was in there. The GT manual wrongly states P21W. They simply don't fit the plugs.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
High resistance somewhere in the circuit is triggering the tick. Clean all the contacts for all bulbs on the circuit and the connectors to the clusters. Any grey powder on the contacts anywhere could be causing this.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same issue on one side, drives me mad, I have replaced all bulbs with like for like still no joy. It's so annoying
That don't sound good. Mines only been ticking a day, and I'm already thinking of selling it, or giving it away.. :biglaugh:
High resistance somewhere in the circuit is triggering the tick. Clean all the contacts for all bulbs on the circuit and the connectors to the clusters. Any grey powder on the contacts anywhere could be causing this.
I did just that, before the new bulb went in. The old one was corroded into the holder, so a repair job and plenty of emery cloth, and contact cleaner. So its spot on :depressed:

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***UPDATE*****

Noticed that the 'old' bulb seemed brighter than the new one, so I swapped them over. The old bulb is indeed brighter than the new one, and I now have fast ticky on both sides. :paranoid:
At least its constant now.

Bought the new bulb from Helfrauds... Dodgy batch maybe..?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Interesting, got in my car to drive home today and mine all worked fine, the fast flash/tick was gone. Don't know what happened but it was so nice not having it I was indicating way earlier than needed :)

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*****SOLVED*****

Mismatched bulbs, even though they were both the same (allegedly). Lessons learnt.

1: DO NOT buy bulbs from Helfrauds
2: Replace in pairs of like for like bulbs.
3: Don't ditch the receipt, and be stuck with a useless bulb. :furious:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts