Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve noticed today while parked at work that the tickover on my 2.0 8v is quite lumpy and hunts from 800 rpm to 1000rpm. It hits 1000rpm, stays for a mo then drops to 800, then rises again, then after a mo drops. seems to have a regular rythm.

Also, with this problem I have a poor running from part throttle, mostly when I pull away from a stop. I.e junctions etc. If you slip the clutck just slightly you overcome this.

Since fitting a new water temp sensor and thermostat things have improved. But its not perfect.

Where should I start? Clean the afm, new plugs, leads, Any ideas would be gratefully recieved and tried. Just hope its nothing too expensive :(

Lee

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
On the 156 Engine, this is usually a Throttle Actuator problem, I think it is fixed by cleaning. Try a search on 'Throttle Actuator'

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the intake manifold, you will find a valve (looks like a cylinder) at the front of it. It has a hose connecting to the top of the main air intake hose. Take the valve off and clean it with carb cleaner. It has a sliding mechanism inside which can become gummed with oil etc. I usually just disconnect the hose from the end of it and spray the cleaner in there.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ian and Marlon, I`ll give it a go and see what happens. Fingers crossed I like cheap fixes, they`re easier on the wallet :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funnily enough, mine did it today when I was stopped at traffic lights. It sorted itself after I did a 0-60 at the green light :eek:
I have had it before and cleaning the idle valve did cure it. The last owner of my car gave me a tin of carb cleaner and specificly told me to do this if the revs start going funky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts