Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( hello guys, this is the first thread ive posted so hello to each and every one. my 164 was running great until the temperature gauge shot up to max in slow commuter traffic. ever since ive used it the tickover has started to hunt almost to the point of stalling when i stop say at a junction, or traffic lights. not being mechanically minded, id really welcome some advice. by the way i really love driving this car, it put a smirk on my face every time i drove it prior to this happening. regards bret

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Often, a poor tickover after an overheat is an indication of a blown head gasket. How hot did it get? Was it really right up to the end of the gauge?

Is the car loosing coolant?

Is there any sign of a thin film of oil or white frothy scum in the coolant header tank?

Is the oil level going UP rather than down?

Is there white gunge under the oil filler cap or on the dipstick?

These are all signs that would also suggest (but not necessarily confirm) head hasket trouble.

Also have a look at all the air hoses round the back of the plenum to see if any are split or collapsed (and the big one from the airflow meter to the plenum). A poor idle can sometimes be down to an air leak.

Is it a 12 or 24 valve?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:cry: many thanks avocet. i thought it might be something like that. i will be getting it checked out this weekend regards bret

1 - 3 of 3 Posts