Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.8 16v 1997, when driving i can hear a slight ticking noise from the engine, like it's the tappets. I regularly change the oil, (mobile 1)and was under the impression that it hydraulic tappets that do not need adjusting, could this be the oil i'm using. It didn't use to make any noises but as the milage goes on (about 500 per week) it could be too thin for the engine now it's worn in.

Any comments or ideas???

Cheers wink

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Ian
is it definitely the tappets ?
the injectors make a clicking sound too. It can be quite hard to decide whether the ticking is from the injectors or from under the rocker cover as they are in the same sort of area.

Marlon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Just my two cts:

I experienced a similar 'ticking' in my Q4 recently. Ends up being the two relays for the fuel pump becoming old. Replaced both, and problem fixed.

Juan
155 Q4

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW I've read on here and alfaowner that Mobil1 is not considered to be very god for our cars, its a bit thin...........apparantly!!!

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would agree with wrinx 5w40 would be the thinnest i would use.

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI JIMYBOB, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT USE SEMI-SYNTHETIC MOTUL 15/50 IN A COUNTRY WITH SIMILAR WEATHER LIKE ENGLAND ?
CHEERS
JORGE :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I think its too thick for 16v's, best is 5 or 10w. Semi or fully synthetic, opinions are divided on that one!

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ian,
Is your cars ticking noise related to revs, or how deep the throttle is depressed? My car has developed a ticking/tapping noise, but is not making that noise all the time, only when throttle is given. My engine performance is as before, just that bloody noise.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do people experiment with different grades of oil when Mr Romeo has spent millions of Lire working out that the best oil for his cruise-missiles is 10W40?

Ralf "10W40 Selenia 20k" S.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some people have problems finding Selenia, for some reason not all dealers stock the stuff. Even heard of one who uses Magnatec for all its services!!!

wrinx

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10/60 motul or selena "for sportive use" as it says in the hand book seems to be best :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just in case you didnt know fiat/lancia/alfa are the only manufacturer in the world that refine there own oil so it must be good.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jacques,

I hear the ticking noise when its stood still and i'm outside the car, also when i drive next to a wall it will rebound from it and i can pick it up there as well. It seems to be consistant with the revs of the engine, more revs faster ticking. Don't really think its a problem but would like it to be less noticable.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd guess it was the tappets, whether they're hydraulic or not.

Get yer feeler gauges out lad!

Mind you my old ma' had a speed related ticking noise coming from the front of the car but only when it was moving - turned out to be a big stone caught in the tyre tread!

Ralf S.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ralf

LOL :D Had the same meself, its worrying for a while!!! Also had a stone get caught on the top of the caliper making a horrible graunching sound........that was scary!!!

wrinx

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the tapping is coming from the injectors, don't know why?

Cheers

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi IanD
I don’t believe you’ll be able to hear the injectors click on a running engine (except a Roll Royce, perhaps). A hydraulic tappet might click when engine is started some hours after being stopped, but the clicking disappears as soon as oil pressure is build up inside the tappet.
If the tapping noise is from the top end of the engine, it can be a number of faults. A clicking could be a tappet against the cam if the hardening of either has gone. If this is the case better change the offending item soon as it will ruin the other.
We all know what’s wrong if it’s a beginning diesel knock – the infamous cam variator. On late cars (engine No. higher that 144000) it can be repaired, otherwise it need at some time be renewed but won’t break.
If the noise is deeper it could be a piston or piston-pin connecting to the conrod. This will be easiest to hear on a cold engine at idling shortly after starting, disappearing (nearly) when hot. This, too, need attending to soon as a broken piston or conrod will ruin at least the cylinder – in worst case the engine entirely.
I agree that 0W-40 (Mobil F1 oil) is a bit thin (for summer use) but my 2,0 16v ran the first 60k miles on F1 with no apparent ill effects. A 10W-40 (or 50/60) is much better suited as an all-year oil (the viscosity 50/60 only keeps the oil from going too thin then really hot). However, I don’t thing thicker oil will make the tapping/clicking go away. I hoped that (my variator made the diesel knock when started hot) but it didn’t make any difference. :mad:
Good luck tracking down the cause of your noise.
Alfisti regards
Erik

1 - 18 of 18 Posts