Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving to work the other morning doing about 40 in 4th when there was a definite drop in power followed by the car missing. made it in to work where it cut out. When I restarted there was a ticking coming from the front bank , still with a miss but it will rev. Have left where it is till I ask some questions .Im afraid if its serious itll have to go for spares! The cam belt was done 5,000 mile ago , its a 2001 v6 with 50,000 on the clock and full service history . Any help please im gutted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the problem, no1 cylinder has blown the plug out of the head!! Hopefully going to get it helicoiled in the next few days, smacks of a plug being put in cross threaded but hey its just more money isnt it.

·
Registered
38,437 Posts
I bought a kit from http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/pricing/maintenance-tools.htm (bottom item) that repairs the thread with the head in situ. Basically it has a tool which is wound in with a socket, and it cuts the hole bigger. It also cuts a new larger thread, then you fit one of the supplied collars to the plug and screw it in.

You have to use plenty of grease on the flutes of the tool to catch the swarf. I also used a wooden safebud with some sealer on the end to pick some swarf off the piston.

I had the same problem on my 145 Cloverleaf, and it worked a treat. It also worked on a triumph dolomite sprint.

·
Registered
38,437 Posts
Thats ok mate. I was bit sceptical at first but it does work a treat.

The hardest part is making sure there is no swarf in the engine. I did the cutting in several stages, making sure the flues of the tool were clean each time. Then filled them with grease to catch as much as possible.

If any swarf gets in the engine it is likely to soon find its way out of the exhaust however.

Did the plug damage the coil or plug cap on its way out? As mine ruined a coil.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
A hint here, anyone that's watched me fit plugs in often wonders why I slip the plug into a length of hose and slide that down the hole, this way prevents the cross threading situation, but more likely your plugs have been over-torqued, striping the soft alloy threads, as Symon says, change the pack and cap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gutted , no luck with the helicoil. The heads coming off and going for repair. Just as well ive got overtime coming!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts