Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

i'm soon to be taking delivery of a 159SW Ti. it of course sits 20mm lower than non-Ti models. i always like to lower my cars.

my other Alfas have all run Eibach springs (former 156, 155, GT). i would consider the same for the 159 except it may be a waste of money. the Pro Kit claims a 30~35mm drop from standard. to me, that's a useful 10mm+ extra. :cool:

but in the realworld, is it that much of a drop, and therefore significantly different to Ti springs? is the ride comfort vs handling improved/same/worse?

has anyone changed their Ti springs to Eibach? or driven different 159s to compare the two springs?

:)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have only had an Alfa 159 Ti for a little over a month and have never put any aftermarket spring kit onto any Afla but, have lowered and tweaked quite a few more 'mundane' cars in the past. Personally , unless you are going to go on track days , I would be very surprised if you still felt the need to put Eibachs on after driving the Ti. Even with the heavy 2.4 diesel lump (in my Ti) the car sits very well and corners superbly with good ride quality, although it can be a little 'twitchy' on bumpy surfaces. Any lower than it is and you would bottom out on sleeping policemen (speed bumps) and any of those b-roads where the 'oil track' is raised due to subsidence.

If the Ti has a weakness in the drivetrain then it's the brakes, or rather the pads which tend to pickup contaminants for a pastime and suffer from brake fade badly unless you dive onto them hard for quick stops. For the decerning driver these should be replaced in my opinion with EBC Redstuff (DP31540C Fronts & DP31425C Rears) costing approx £130-140 for a full set.

Sorry this doesn't answer your exact question but I think you will be pleased with the existing suspension on the Ti (personally I feel it is on par with the 3000GT :)).

·
Registered
745 Posts
hey

i'm soon to be taking delivery of a 159SW Ti. it of course sits 20mm lower than non-Ti models. i always like to lower my cars.

my other Alfas have all run Eibach springs (former 156, 155, GT). i would consider the same for the 159 except it may be a waste of money. the Pro Kit claims a 30~35mm drop from standard. to me, that's a useful 10mm+ extra. :cool:

but in the realworld, is it that much of a drop, and therefore significantly different to Ti springs? is the ride comfort vs handling improved/same/worse?

has anyone changed their Ti springs to Eibach? or driven different 159s to compare the two springs?

Whoa new car!! awesome! :thumbs::thumbs:

the 3.2 or the 2.2?

·
Registered
71 Posts
You don't want to lower it anymore than the Ti.

Mine is often catching speed bumps etc. The front undertray is covered in deep scrapes and the metal heatsheld bit is really trashed.

I spoke to the dealer to see if the undertray was to low on mine and he said all the Ti's they had have come back in like it.

Don't think this is just me being a boring person not liking lowered cars etc. I have a lotus exige running lower than standard and that doesn't catch on some of the speed bumps that the 159ti does !!

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I dropped my last 159 with Eibach springs only, kept the original shocks, and the handling was improved but a little 'jittery'. I was running on 18's at the time.
The Ti pack is shocks and springs AFAIK so the handling is better again and the 19's seem to ride fine, oddly.
Just be aware your ride clearance, as mentioned above. With the Eibachs, be prepared to take strange lines around speed bumps so as not to catch the undertray. :lol:

The Eibachs cost me £120 and another £120 to fit (took about 1.5hours)

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback guys. @ alphaTS56: it will be a 3.2 Q4, as the 'family' car (ie: buying for the wife...er...for me to use). :)

being 'low' and having reduced clearance doesn't both me. it is something i contend with, with the GT. but i have to realise that my wife will be driving the car often, and she is less careful.

i've only test driven the car, but out of the box, i was mighty impressed by its ride quality. better than my GT which has been tuned.

if anyone else has fitted Eibach springs (to any 159), i'm interested to hear your feedback too. in the meantime, i am probably going to stick with the existing Ti setup.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've got Eibachs on mine (just the springs, like Hunter had). They can be a touch harsh, especially when coupled with the 19" TI wheels.

If I'd had a TI to start with, I wouldn't have bothered making the change.

·
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again. i'll stick with the Ti spec suspension. :)

Hunter, you car looks awesome. my Ti SW will be red too. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts