Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Has anyone ever tried fitting these onto their 159? I've followed all the instructions but the rubber feet don't seem to fit into the wee gulleys on the roof, the measurements stated on the fitting instruction do not seem correct and I'm not too happy about using the metal "hooks" on my paintwork (surely metal on metal will cause scratching and I'm worries bout how it will be when the door shuts with them inside)

I've definately got the right lit number but I'm just not convinced.

Any help, advice or stories greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have Thule roof bars that I use. It takes a bit of messing about to get them to fit in the correct place. I think I had to move the feet closer together for them to sit properly. Use some of the foam wrapping that comes with the bars to protect the paintwork where the hooks attach. I had to close my eyes when I first closed the door but they're often left on over the weekends in the summer and it doesn't cause the rubber any problems.

Why or why gutters aren't made to take bars anymore I cannot understand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think I had to move the feet closer together for them to sit properly.
...me also...about protecting paintwork - I was also concerned about that issue...so I put piece of rubber (from bike inner tube) on the place where hooks touch paintwork...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
me too.... black insulation tape still stuck on the car to protect paint after holiday last week, but ive never managed to get them to fit right at 240mm from the screen, mine are more like 260 to get the rubber to sit right.

I can never get them off though, i have the aero bars and always resort to levering with a screwdriver to get the endcaps away from the bars to get them to unscrew, or am i doing something wrong (i noticed the plastic flap but not sure what thats for apart from getting access with screwdriver!:confused: )? Locks dont work properly either......

My wifes signum has fixing points, takes me 3-4 mins to fit bars to hers max, took me 50 mins to do mine last week......:mad:

L

·
0 Posts
So you guys have the Thule 750, 761 and 1419 kits ? Approx £100 ??

I have a 159 SW no Alfa rails, just the plastic strips down the roof..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi, I had these bars and fitting kit up to about a month ago.

I used them to transport my mountain bikes about, until when travelling along the m25 the metal fitting clips came unattached from the front door shuts and the entire roof rack (bikes inc) came flying off at about 60mph!!!

Bikes were totalled and the car had deep scratches and dents all over the roof and boot.

All is fixed now but I would never use as rack on the alfa again, if you do be carefull.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thats not good news Rochester.... mine always seem fine and the only way brackets come out is if I unclip them and then its a struggle, the issue i have with them is that if its raining i get drips of water coming in through the door seals.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi just brought some of these things......what a pain in the .......fitting them got the fron to fit. all good, but the back well i can not seem to get there, i swaped the froont steel brakets to the back and they fitted better. Phone roof box company they told me to mess around with the measurements on the bar or fit feet first then tighten to bar.....also try in different position......got a bit to stressed with them going to try again when calmed down.....yes i also dont like the way they fit worried about damaging paint or dinting roof where they are sitting.............Please any advice very welcomed........

·
Registered
959 Posts
I agree it takes a bit of fiddling around to get them to sit correctly but I managed it in the end. When you tighten them up make sure the clips are sitting against the underside of the door frame, I found it was possible to tighten them up and they just clamped up against the roof edge but with a bit of wobbling could easily let go. If the clips are well seated against the door frame they are not coming off without the whole roof! I did not add any additional protection for the paint and cannot see any damage. I've been down to the South of France with a fully loaded roof box with no problems at all.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Here is a little sketch to show what I mean about making sure the clips are sitting up against the door frame. It is very easy to end up as shown in the lower diagram which superficially gives the impression that all is well, but you will find out that it isn't sooner or later. :eek:

The metal clips are powder coated so they will not scratch (if clean).

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi elfred, Thanks for your help. Yes i know what you mean had that problem at first but got them to fit better. Still got problem with back bar, the bracket seams to long even when tightened up fully it does not grip the roof. there is a gap under the foot. i did find that if i use the front steel brackets and swap them round cause they are handed i can get them to fit spot on. So i ordered a second set (as roofbox company were not much help) they have just arrived so i will fit two sets of front brackets. If you get what i mean ???????? see how we go this afternoon. will let you know many thanks for every ones help (some times wish i never started, but tow bar out of the question:-( )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got back from weekend trip with roof bars on and box all went well. Fitted front bar no problem.......back bar as i said before sorted problem by using front steel brackets on the back but had to swap the sides round left to right and vise versa.....worked a treat:) will be writting to thule to tell them of my problems..thanks for all your help... so if you saw a black alfa lusso 159 with a big daft silver roof box on that was me

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hotalfagirl/ Elfred, Can you tell me what type of Thule roof bar kit you have? I'm just about to buy a roof rack and it would save me alot of [email protected] about if you could give me the code or reference number?

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Having followed all the problems that a lot of you guys have been having fitting the Thule Roof Bars, I had decided that it would be worth the bit extra buying the Alfa ones, but no sooner had I decided to buy a set (at the end of last year) than they were listed as "Not Available", :( . According to my dealer, the manufacturer in Italy had gone bust.

When I was in for my annual service the other week, the Parts Manager came over and announced that they were back 'on screen' as an available item again. I got him to order up a set there and then and a couple of days later I got the call to say that they were 'in stock', :).

I got the box home, but didn't open it until the weekend there when I thought I'd have a try at fitting them as it was a nice day outside. Imagine my shock / horror / roll-eyes moment :rolleyes: (yep, some of you are there already, aren't you?) when the bits that tumbled out of the box all had Thule stickers on them, :( :p. At least I got a 15% discount so the prices were pretty much on a par. Oh, and the instruction leaflet does say "Manufactured exclusively for Alfa Romeo by Thule" on it, so that's OK then. :rolleyes:

Did they fit any easier - what do you think? :mad: If it hadn't been for the posts on here, I'd probably still be out there yet. So they were well worth the wait! :cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi elfred, i got the aero bars861, gutterless feet 750, rapid system 1419 plus i got a second set of 750 so i could use the steel brackets from the front on the back. I set everything as per instructions and dimensions and used the rubber feet as per instructions but the only thing i did different was use the steel brackets out of the second set of part no. 750 for the back instead and swaped the sides so opposite from the front (i.e if bracket no. 821was on the left on the front i used it on the right on the back, if you know what i mean?????????as the the roof slopes in opposite direction.

·
Registered
68 Posts
its times like this am glad i bought a 159SW with roof rails. shame a piece of the trimming fell off:(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts