Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided to start a little Giulietta project as my gearbox is still not playing ball - it's now developed a whine! Grrrr! So I have ordered a reconditioned box (snicker) clutch, DMF, wheels and tyres for her I've already lowered her and done the brakes!

Currently she's in the body shop having the dents removed, front end painted and a good mop!

It's turned out to be an expensive week for my 'eBay bargain'

When this is all done I'll be doing the belts and installing a new bigger turbo and intercooler then I'll have a go at removing the restriction in the intake manifold and getting that remap

Info to follow!

Zoo :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been reading the thread you have been posting in and I am more confused than ever i'd like a reliable 190-200 bhp

what do you suggest and why?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Had to smile at the 'old' 4 year old.. wet behind the ears that is in my driving experience. lol

Hope the works go well for you. and your bella.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ive been reading the thread you have been posting in and I am more confused than ever i'd like a reliable 190-200 bhp

what do you suggest and why?
Well, I can only speak for my case in particular. I went with the turbo that is in the 2.0 170cv JTD (GTB1549V) engine because of 3 reasons:
- plug and play (almost)
- turbo lag (good response, great for daily driving)
- stock look

With this turbo, achieving full boost takes roughly the same time as the stock turbo with fixed geometry. It's connection to the exhaust manifold is direct, no need to change the manifold or weld. And in the end you get a completely stock look.

However, I can't get more than 180/190hp reliably. To make 190hp I'm running 2.1bar of boost, which is a lot for this turbo.

I also experienced intercooler piping leaks, which I have solved recently, and I now also have the exhaust manifold with a leak as well, which should be fixed next week with 2 gaskets.

I've been working on the stage 2 since February and I can tell you that is not a easy path, nor a cheap one.

I'm not so sure if I would do it all over again, specially because it's a 1.6, you spend a lot of money and in the end a BMW 120d is just as fast for example. Since a GTB2056V is the same price as a GTB1549V, I would rather have the money spent on modifying a larger engine, like the 2.0 JTD, which with the 2056, is good enough for 250hp.

Other than that, the car is now much stronger than it was before, only with remap (135hp vs 183hp), but the wear on components will be much much faster! :biglaugh:

You can check out my wheelwell page for more info:
https://www.wheelwell.com/profile/550d60a698d3a3394ef1a0d8/vehicles/550d60ca98d3a3394ef1a0d9/specs/

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had to smile at the 'old' 4 year old.. wet behind the ears that is in my driving experience. lol

Hope the works go well for you. and your bella.
Well she has 134,000 miles on her so certainly not wet behind the ears lol :lol:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wow ok I guess she's an active young thing! :)

My bella is on 122,000 so not feeling so bad about her mileage now (she's an 11 year old girl).

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I can only speak for my case in particular. I went with the turbo that is in the 2.0 170cv JTD (GTB1549V) engine because of 3 reasons:
- plug and play (almost)
- turbo lag (good response, great for daily driving)
- stock look
You said plug and play (almost) what changes will I have to make?

the intercooler ive gone for is 550x230x65 in size do you think this will be ok or should I risk going bigger?

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
It does look stunning! What colour is that? Looks like a mirror :)

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Zoo do you have any pictures in your car garage? i can't access your garage :confused:
It's Locked :evil:

I should really take some pictures of my car....haven't done it yet
just google black Giulietta :lol: it just looks like everyother one at the mo

·
Registered
129 Posts
You said plug and play (almost) what changes will I have to make?

the intercooler ive gone for is 550x230x65 in size do you think this will be ok or should I risk going bigger?
bigger does not mean better. Also, in our case, much bigger can mean worse (more lag, more time to pressurize the IC).
I have the IC from the 2.0 engine and it's very good, I have Intake deltas of 15ºC to 20ºC now with 30ºC ambient temperature.
I believe that there might be better performing ICs, but I can only speak from myself.

Plug and play because the GTB1549V fits the manifold, you will just have to build some piping for the DPF suppressor if you prefer to remove the DPF completely, instead of hollowing it out.

Intercooler piping also needs som modifications, and also the Air filter to Turbo hose, because the intake diameter of the new turbo is larger than the one you have now.

It does look stunning! What colour is that? Looks like a mirror :)
It's Anthracite Grey.
Car was sitting on H&R sport springs back then. Wich were very low compared to the setup I have now. But it did look rad :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DPF will remain for the time being, it will have to be hollowed as it has to look present at MOT I think?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed my mind on wheels and went for turbines courtesy of Shiny Boy. I also added my chrome mirror caps 2 days previous, thanks to Gavin at Western Alfa.

Before

After

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.