Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if anyone has advice on cleaning throttlebody on my 156 2.0ts. I rave read of various problems in doing this. Also I might try the ignition reset through ignition sequence, again any thoughts??
This is all as a last chance fix for my surging idle fault. All thoughts welcomed. Ta

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i have always used carb cleaner in a spray can in the past, i think wynns make it, halfords or any other car spares shop should have it, just take off the inlet pipe from the airbox, push the metal flap over, hold it there and spray some in, re attach pipe and start the engine (may take a while to start) run it for a few mins to see if it has cleared, if not repeat the process.

redex is also another option instead of carb cleaner, i prefer the spray though, i feel it gets into more places the redex wont

·
Registered
10 Posts
just remove the throttlebody complete with cable and potentiometer, that way you can clean it properly. its easy to do... unbolt it from the manifold and move away as much as the cable etc will allow. dont disconnect the cable etc though as this can cause issues later.
also remove and clean the bypass valve, its inline on the pipe that runs from the right hand side of the back of the cylinder head to the rear of the throttlebody, it gets really badly gunked up and affects idle quality.
its a bit awkward to get at, but worth doing

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
moving the butterfly manualy has never caused me any problems, i have done it quite alot and never had any issues, it will automaticaly return to its correct position as soon as you release it

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
leaving the throttle body on the car won't do you any good. to do it properly you need to take it off the car altogether and clean it out of the car. Most of the dirt is underneath the butterfly.

See here for more info:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/just...6892-a-weekend-of-work-on-the-cloverleaf.html

Bear in mind, if you have an electronic throttle, aka no cable. i would not recomend moving the butterfly at all unless you can disconnect the electronic mechanism.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.