Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all,

155 2Ltr has been sat outside for two weeks in sub zero temps. Not only were the breaks seized / frozen the throttle is stuck. So when it started it revved the bejusus out the engine and the accelerator pedal was slack - no life at all . I went back to see if things had thawed out a bit and the accelerator cable is still lifeless. So I am assuming the cable is stuck? When I get a chance to have a proper look with time and day light could any one pass on some words of wisdom?

Many thanks.

John

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Nothing too complex, open the bonnet, right hand side follow the hose from the airbox to the throttlebody and on the bottom the throttle cable should be sticking out the front of it. The inner cable is probably frozen in the outer either antifreeze or heat it up so that you can pull on the cable and rotate the throttle butterfly and also pull the cable inside the outer cable :)

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
There is also a point on the cable, just after it comes through the bulkhead, where it splits.

If you follow the cable back, you'll find it goes into a black box on the bulkhead behind the plenum chamber, this could also be a point to check, but check what Thompatruck has said first.

Also, IIRC, the throttle itself can seize in freezing temperatures due to lack of anti-freeze in the cooling system. You'll see a small hose that comes off the top of the thermostat housing that goes to the throttle body, make sure this is passing water ok, you can check by seeing if the return hose to the expansion bottle is passing water.

View attachment 135402

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
throttle stuck

Many thanks for that information, went to have a look on Saturday only to be met with a flat and dead battery!!! New battery to be fitted Wednesday should be up and running soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts