Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle cable is sticking, this may be a dumb question but what can i do to free it up? I've sprayed WD40 at the throttle end and hit the accelerator a few times but no joy.
Does anyone know how tricky it is to replace if i do need to replace it?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Had that on my 155 too. You have to remove the cable from the throttle body, raise the end of the cable, squirt with XSive amount of WD40 down there whilst moving the inner cable back and forth. Did the trick for me.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Hoy, quick reply! Will give that a go tomorrow.

So everyone be warned, it's gonna rain on the South Coast UK tomorrow.

·
Registered
564 Posts
As the 155 use's 2 cables and a pivot, it could be that the pivot is in need of lubrication. I would tell you how to do it but.......................I don't know :confused: :)

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
OOPS.... Keep forgetting you guys have the steering wheel on the wrong side :p :D

Here's a diagram of the throttle linkage, still believe it's a matter of WD40'ing it in all the right places.

--Hoygaard

·
Registered
564 Posts
MT if you take the throttle cable off and create a funnel which is sealed to the housing you can then fill it with a heavier oil than WD40, engine oil perhaps which will work better as it won't dry out....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recommend motorbike chain lube, is is a thin as wd but when the solvent evaporates its leaves grease behind

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that failed miserably. All i've managed to do is remove the inch of throttle i could actually use without it sticking and make the cable more notchy.

Undid the throttle cable from the throttle and lubed it, but it moved freely anyway. The throttle body thing is moving freely too.
When i push the cable in from the throttle end it goes in, and comes back out again freely, but the cable at the pedal end doesn't move with it, when i push the pedal the cable sticks.
So, must be something to do with the pivot or the first cable that Dai mentioned (12 and 2 in Hoy's pic?) but i can't see how to get to either of them without removing the engine. Hell, i can't even see them without removing the engine.
Any pointers?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just had a look and it looks a b4stard to dismantle but if you can get a longer straw for the WD40 can, you maybe able to lubricate it without dismantling it. ;) ;) Otherwise it looks as though you may have to remove part of the inlet manifold :( :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't actually see the pivot, i follow the cable back from the throttle and it disappears into some sort of housing behind the inlet manifold. I can only just see the housing as there's a couple of thick looms that run directly above it.
Can you actually see your pivot?

·
Registered
564 Posts
MT said:
I can't actually see the pivot, i follow the cable back from the throttle and it disappears into some sort of housing behind the inlet manifold. I can only just see the housing as there's a couple of thick looms that run directly above it.
Can you actually see your pivot?
No but I don't have any cables above the housing so I can see the opening where the cable goes in :) :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there are 2 yocks that daiblack is talking about and they are on the bulk head behind the inlet manifold behind a black metal case (a ***** to get to) .Try to drill a hole in the top of the case and poor in oil whilst the mrs pumps the throttle.

Ted ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeesus, dunno what'll be easier, getting a Mrs or drilling that hole, i could barely get a screwdriver down to it.
At least i know which bit i need to get to, cheers guys. Will give it a go. But keep an eye out for a thread about removing the inlet manifold :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yer could always remove the dash and cut a hole in the bulkhead ..................repair the faulty linkage and weld over the hole ;) :p or improvise and fit a "hand" throttle through the window :D :D a bit of string usually does the trick ;) :p :p

I`m not helping am i :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It could just be your floor mat catching on the throttle peddle :D

errr then again.......

san

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol, top advice as usual!
The attached pic shows the lack of gap between the manifold and the soundproofing on the bulkhead. Behind the soundproofing are two large looms so that's as far back as it goes (i removed the black box and bracket to check this).

Am gonna try and get a long drill bit and see what i can do, failing that the inlet manifold needs to come off which i might have to give to someone to do this week.
OF course this had to happen on my first full week back at work when i'm desperate for a car and my housemate's car has just been sold to be collected Sat, and not during the 3 months i've just been at home with time to sort this out...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've got to go to the dealers today to pick up my new thermostat :( , so I'll have a word with the technicians and ask them how they do it :tut: and then how it's supposed to be done ;) ;)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MT, m8 if it makes U feel any better, I suffer from a stiff one :eek: :lol: ...throttle cable that is.....did'nt notice till I drove other cars.....try funnel trick with engine oil 'watered' down with wd40.
............narlo............

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had the same problem. Gave up messing in the end and took the inlet manifold off to get at it. Its not that bad a job:(from memory)

1. Jack the car up

2. Remove exhaust section between manifold and cat

3. Remove Battery, and air hose from air box to throttle body

4. Remove throttle body (4 allan bolts)

5. You now have enough space to stick your ratchet in to get at the
two bolts holding the manifold from the underside at either end to the engine.

6. Get under the car and undo the two bolts that hold the stay from the block onto the inlet manifold.

7. Disconnet wiring and vaccum hose (I think you push it in to release it. Its a right git to get off if you don't do it the right way).

8. Undo the clips with a flat bladed screw driver. Pull out the manifold.

You can now see the throttle linkage cover.

Simple. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Course there is another fix.

1. Take oil cap off engine

2. ensure there is plenty of oil in the engine.

3. Forget to oil cap back on.

4. Drive 10 miles and dismiss the burning smell as your imagination or a problem with the car in front

5. Stop, wonder where all the smoke is coming from.

6. Open Bonnet, stare in awe as everything has been convieniently lubed.

7. Top up with oil, put cap back on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts