Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

My recent second hand 156 (1998 SP2) has had some work done that was fairly important -
Alternator Rewind (was charging @ 12.8V)
Thermostat (was not getting above 60deg)
MAF (the wrong one was fitted)

The good news - fuel consumption has improved, pick-up / torque is good and the throttle, which was all over the place at low revs is better BUT...

When cold the needle wavers between 800-1200 rpm when coasting and low speed gear changing. Once warm (over 70deg) the wobbly behaviour is almost non-existant.

Q: Is this normal?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hello.

My recent second hand 156 (1998 SP2) has had some work done that was fairly important -
Alternator Rewind (was charging @ 12.8V)
Thermostat (was not getting above 60deg)
MAF (the wrong one was fitted)

The good news - fuel consumption has improved, pick-up / torque is good and the throttle, which was all over the place at low revs is better BUT...

When cold the needle wavers between 800-1200 rpm when coasting and low speed gear changing. Once warm (over 70deg) the wobbly behaviour is almost non-existant.

Q: Is this normal?
ive seen this and im sure its something todo with speedo resistor i may be wrong :(

i would do throttle reset to see if it fixes it :thumbs:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive seen this and im sure its something todo with speedo resistor i may be wrong

i would do throttle reset to see if it fixes it

Thanks dave. Where is the speedo resistor? Tried the throttle reset, no difference there !??

This is no big problem, but a bit irritating when you've had a TS that doesn't do it :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
ive seen this and im sure its something todo with speedo resistor i may be wrong

i would do throttle reset to see if it fixes it

Thanks dave. Where is the speedo resistor? Tried the throttle reset, no difference there !??

This is no big problem, but a bit irritating when you've had a TS that doesn't do it :)
i would check codes and check temp sensor reading is gradual and within range on warm up first:thumbs: im sure someone else will put more input on this one .....what year is your twinny is it fly by wire throttle or cable ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1998 cable. Had teh car on Examiner Alfa Diagnostics (before & after MAF ) on a hot motor. No errors, all parameters now spot-on.

Not had it on frm a cold start. Maybe ECU needs a bit of time to get used to the new bits & pieces?

Possible Throttle Body Motor on the way out - judging by the other components *guessing*

cheers

L

·
0 Posts
IMHO, you need either to clean the throttle body & then do the Throttle Reset procedure, or replace the Throttle Position Sensor [ TPS ] & then do the Throttle Reset procedure OR worse case you need a new Air Flow Meter [ AFM ]

Make sur ethe TPS has a green dot on it, the blue dot are older & were know to be trouble some.

L

·
0 Posts
have you checked the plug wells for oil or water trapped in them? when were plugs last changed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts