Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a classic the other day, after the usual pain of getting the sump off, found not one, not two, but 3 spun big end bearings on 1, 2 and 3. Plastigauge suggests I caught it in time, but what the hell happened to this engine!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Used hard when cold.
Failed oil pump (not so likely with JTS).
Petrol diluting the oil (smells like petrol).
High mileage and missed oil changes.

Not sure which one you may find that best fits. There may have been mistreatment by a previous owner. Getting the sump off a JTS is great fun, isn't it? I found the TS easier. Good the plastiguage suggests it is good. Hopefully your finger nails cannot detect any surface roughness either.

Perhaps the most likely thing was it has been apart before and possibly not done correctly. I've never heard of such a thing so this one sounds like a real mystery- especially as it was the ones nearest the oil pump including the siamesed number 3 above the exhaust.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diluted oil; Check, behaved like 5W40 and smelt like the sump was full of petrol
Missed oil changes; Check
Used hard from cold; Assumed check as cams were also worn
Goes without saying that the previous owner did this to my poor GTV! I can confirm the sump has never come off before, and that must have been the most adhesive silicone ever holding the sump on. I will be using Hylomar Blue when it goes back on to make sure I can get it off again if I need to.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
For the sake of information, it looks like performance camshafts are the same price as new JTS ones. I decided not to go that route as I suspect performance camshafts may increase back flow of exhaust gas into the inlet tracts (and increase the tendency for carbon deposits).

There is good news though. I read a while ago a forum member sourced Twinspark (1.8 or 2.0) cams for a JTS and machined the threads for the high pressure fuel pump into the exhaust camshaft. They were set using JTS cam locks. Twinspark engines do not tend to have worn cams but ideally get new followers or use the followers from the donor engine for the respective cam lobe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts