Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
last time I changed the oil I found that the thread in my oilpan was stripped and I could barely refit the plug. Does anyone have this experience with an 155 16V TS engine as well and what did you do to solve the problem. (For now it still works, but there will be a day when it won't, rather have a solution by that time)

Thanks
Frank

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usual solution is to take it to a garage and have it helicoiled in situ. From memory it should cost about £40.

wrinx

·
Administrator
46,134 Posts
Yep, wrinx is right. This is quite a common problem - down to the plug being made of a different metal than the sump.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Partly true, but in my case it was due to the muppet who last did the oil changes :rolleyes: and also that the sump plug has a space before the thread starts and the sump is only thin, meaning few threads are in contact and therefore its easy to strip the bugger :mad:

wrinx

·
Registered
550 Posts
Same as Wrinx

The muppet that did the first oil change stripped it and I saw it at the next time, so I rethreaded it and fit a new bigger bolt. :rant:

Since that day only one person touch it , me! :tut:

I do not remember well but I think it was a 1/2 NF bolt. JimyBob knows it from memory but I don´t know about his life !

Good luck

Jorge

1 - 6 of 6 Posts