Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Im not sure if im posting this in the right section but im in the market for my first Alfa and want a 147 GTA. Rather than look on the autotrader or ebay first ive looked on here in the cars for sale section and seen this one in particular. Alfa Romeo Classifieds - Auctions - Alfa 147 GTA - Q2 diff & cambelt done (2003) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Im just wondering if any of you guys have been to view it or would be kind enough to offer any advice?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie post!

Steve

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
At that price these cars r becoming real bargains, I would say its a good example and well priced. The fact it's on here means its owned by an enthusiast plus for me q2 and recent Cambelt. There will always be other hidden costs down the road but a good start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
At that price these cars r becoming real bargains, I would say its a good example and well priced. The fact it's on here means its owned by an enthusiast plus for me q2 and recent Cambelt. There will always be other hidden costs down the road but a good start.
Seriously thinking of going for a 147 gta myself next year as im bored with my collezione.

Hidden costs, what type of things do you mean?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
The GTA's are expensive cars to run. Fuel is massive. 20-25mpg is standard. lower and upper wishones wear as do front tyres. Drop links and arb bushes. Lower rad metal hoses and rads also common issues. They aren't major issues but when they do play up they will cost a bit as it has the GTA name plate on the end :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Expect 2k a year in repairs and servicing. 3k if you have a bad year....
Or 5k+ if you are anal like me and do everything when you buy the car :lol::rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Think i worked mine out to have cost me roughly £2500 'ish' over the year ive had mine. The Diff went so had gearbox rebuild, new clutch & Q2, new bottom rad pipe, rust protection, new battery, headlight, 2 new tyres, new headlight washer jet and a couple of other bits. Then i had all 4 wheels powder coated & new double din headunit fitted.

That's not inlcuding the full cambelt service it had done as that was paid for by the dealership i got it from. It also had new brake discs and pads all round, new brake pipe, 2 new tyres, new rad & a windscreen wiper :lol:

Next on the list is the suspension because it knocks and clunks pretty badly :rolleyes:. You get annoyed when you realise what you've spent on it but then you get in and drive it & suddenly it doesn't seem such a bad thing :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mines going up for sale very early nxt year. Can confirm its had all of the above done too. It's actually had around 7.5k spent on it! It's a very sorted gta.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the link not working, i posted this in the 147 area by mistake and copied and pasted it to this so i guess thats why the link doesnt work.
Regarding fuel costs its going to be a second car so thats not a problem plus would be a fool to expect high mpg from a 3.2 v6!!
My last car was a Toyota MR2 Turbo which obviously comes with Japanese reliability but been longing for an Alfa for years.
So here I am about to buy a GTA as my first!!
Just need to buy the best i can for my 5k ish budget.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Hi Keeno

As said before, a GTA can rack up some bills, £5k will buy one, but you might find that some bills start coming through. It's been seen many times on this site, that a cheap GTA is never cheap.

And I don't think it's just GTA's that fall into this type of group of car, anything that is of this calibre of car approaching 10 years old with a few miles on will need maintenance.

Either way - this is the best place to start your search.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My sportwagon is coming up to nearly a year and all it had cost me is an oil change, the bodywork will cost a bit when I get round to it but I knew that when I bought it. So not always a money pit, prob lucky and shoudnt temp fate.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
That first one looks good value, prices come down a lot since got mine.. for 5k but from an auction and knew it needed work ie. Cambelt, prob spent around 2.5k I guess in the last 8 months, some of which by choice, and its still got a few little issues.. I'm clueless, but from personal experience check the oil cooler, radiator and associated Pipes as mine were leaking and pricey to fix, along with power steering pipes I'm yet to sort (just a dribble!)..(giveaway was the undertray was full of oil & fluid) think it was sat a while.. otherwise, go for it you'll be itching to drive it at every chance you can (afford)! They are amazing fun & a lot of character

1 - 18 of 18 Posts