Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, been driving this around since delivery last Friday now.
It's got a few things that need correction, which I am confident are covered under warranty. The amazing thing is the sheer amount of torque you feel when in the band. It shifts! My V6 does'nt shift with such vigour, forgiven the torque differences, but the atmosphere up here makes an even bigger contrast for the comparison.

The consumption I am averaging around 13l\100km, pitifully worse than my GT, but driving very considerately, I can see the current (moving average) hover around 7-8. I need to stop driving it like the GT, it has'nt got the grace of my GT around bends (remember I have Q2, konis, eibachs on that) feels a little more like a boat, and hence it should be driven in a refined manner :)

The autobox in sports mode hangs at mid-range making you go even faster to force the upshift, but the manual mode seems to be better for control, as well you can start it off in 2nd gear from stationary.

I miss a single button to turn off the a\c and fan in one quick go, as opposed to GT's quick twist of the dial to shut off. The sun roof is more of a novelty in this season.

I like the facia update, but I know this is outofdate already w.r.t. the new breeds.

Sometimes in 1st gear I get a whooshing sound if I step on it, quite a loud whistle, think the turbo needs looking at. Something in front suspension feels a bit loose too, when going over some big cracks in the road.

My main concern is the dreaded afterburn of the diesel soot. I have not yet experienced DPF regeneration yet, and have images of crawling along the road at 15kmh in the well known 'limp mode'. Makes me laugh, you could probably adapt the burn off to have an aesthetic flame thrower modification.

...any one remember this...
[sic - (The 159 2.4) obviously respects Euro 4 limits, and incorporates a DPF (particulate trap) that eliminates fine dust in line with the limits currently envisaged for future Euro 5 legislation. (It is a “for life” system that doesn’t need to be regenerated with additives, and will be eligible for tax incentives.)]

:rant: As usual, being Mr Johny Foreigner, I have a snag getting a traffic register number (you need one to register a car in your name). I tried getting one today, but was given a long list of items required. Luvit. I'll enjoy queueing for half a day tomorrow again to see if I can get it sorted. Then I can look forward to 21 days before its issued, by which time my license and reg will be well and truly expired. Yes, yes, I know you get expiry + 1month to sort it, but try expiry + 2 months (by that time). It's easy to buy a car, but a sod to get legally sorted. Soft Europeans are used to doing all this on line. However I guess that's not a priority upgrade when so many are so poor, and civil servants don't get paid here.

Cheers!

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Good post!

I love the in-gear accelleration of the diesel......

I tend to only use the normal auto mode, if you want to get more vigorous with the go-faster pedal, the kick down is almost immediate and the up-change happend much higher in the rev range anyway....

I must be lucky or something , or just oblivious, I don't think I have ever had a DPF Regen.... I may have and just did not notice though:lol:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its the way you must drive it, to keep it off afterburn regeneration mode. Maybe all the DPF strife is confined to cold climates...I am trying to programme my ecu for instant take-off by flattening the pedal to the floor :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts