Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you will know by now, I recently traded in the (thirsty) Alfa for an (economical) Golf. Whilst I was sorry to wave the Alfa off (there's nothing quite like a 166 :cool:), I'm pretty pleased with the new motor.

Here are my thoughts about the new car:

2004 MkV VW Golf 2.0 GT TDi 140 DSG

The good:

- Fantastically economical. I'm getting an average of 60-65mpg on my daily commute, versus 30-33mpg from the Alfa. Even when I'm driving like a loon, I still get 45mpg! :lol:
- Seriously quick. Thanks to the meaty state of tune my Golf's 2.0 TDi engine has been endowed with (140bhp, 236lb/ft torque), it's as quick as you'd ever need a road car to be. It's also a lot faster than my old V6 Alfa.
- Groovy gearbox. Everything people say about how well the DSG gearbox performs is true. The technical stuff's been done to death, so here's a different viewpoint: Imagine your car has a manual gearbox, and all the changes are being performed by Ken Block, after 23 cans of Monster. That's what a DSG is like. :cool: I also really like the design of the stubby little gearlever. :thumbs:
- Understated good looks. Is it gorgeous? No. Is it ugly? No. 'Nuff said.
- Comfort behind the wheel. The driving position is faultless, the steering wheel rim is just the right thickness, and the diameter of it is spot on, too. The pedals sit directly under your feet, and the (sports semi-bucket) seats are both comfy and grippy.
- Handing. Being GT-spec, this Golf gets its chassis settings from the much-lauded GTi. Suffice to say, it knows its way around a corner. :cool:
- Brakes. Solid and powerful, easy to modulate underfoot.
- Boot. Specifically with the rear seats down, it's massive. My new mountain bike fits in the back without the need to remove either of the bike's wheels. :eek:
- The dials. The speedo and rev counter are designed to look like chronograph watch faces. They are also incredibly easy to read at a glance. Very nice indeed.
- Dash lighting. The dash lights up in blue at night. Super cool. :cool:

The bad:

- Soot. Under VERY hard accelleration, especially after a period of economical motoring, it blows a big cloud of black smoke out of the back. It only does it for a split second, but it's like a fart in a lift. No big deal, but a bit embarrassing. :rolleyes:
- Anonymous looks. I am already dreading the first time I have to leave the car in a supermarket car park. "Has anyone seen a silver Golf? I appear to have lost mine amongst all the other silver Golfs." That NEVER happened with the Alfa.
- The interior. Whilst being an object lesson in functional ergonomics, it's a bit on the plain side. The interior of my 166 managed to be both functional and handsome, so I know it's not rocket science to combine the two. :lol:
- The ride. There was always going to be a payoff for the sharp handling, and it's at the expense of the ride quality. It's not bad, by any stretch of the imagination, but when you're pootling along trying to extract maximum mpg, the inherent sportiness of the chassis is a bit annoying.

The ugly:

- The stereo system. Artificially boomy bass, muffled mid-range and tinny treble. Almost impossible to tweak in order for it to sound good. I knew the system in the Alfa (ICS with DSP) was good, but hadn't realised how good until I got the Golf. :cry:
- Lack of centre armrest. On a car that cost £22k when it was new. Come on VW, this is basic stuff!!! :tut:
- Tiny computer screen. Tucked between the speedo and the rev counter is a piddly little monochrome screen, about 2" by 2" in size. All of the computer's functions and displays have to be incorporated within. It's crowded and messy as a result. About a foot to the left is the stereo screen, which is about 6" x 3", and shows nothing but the name of the radio station you're listening to. Fail. :(
- Steering feel. Er, what steering feel? Over-light power assisted steering that weights up artificially at speed, which was reminiscent of my 1993 Rover 827 SLi. That car had numb steering, too. You get used to it, but why should you have to?
- Noisy air con/heater fan. Apparently, a common problem with the MkV Golf.

Overall, I'm liking the car. :thumbs: In fairness, it was bought as an ecobox (which it does very well), and has exceeded expectations by being both quick and a tidy handler, too. :)

·
Premium Member
42,864 Posts
shame you couldn't have found a nice oil burning GT ;)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Sounds good, ticked all the boxes you were aiming for and more which can't be bad, :)

Interesting you say it's quick, I wonder if it's been re-mapped in the past? I had one of these trying it on with me and thought it was shockingly slow. :confused:

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
Good summary Morgan - good luck with the Golf :)

We run a 2003 Golf 1.6 Petrol and besides a service every year (up to now) it has been easy motoring. It's now done around 75k, and we hope to go over 100k before thinking of changing it. It returns about 39 to the gallon, has room for 2 children and some shopping..............and is silver :lol:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,300 Posts
Morgan, Morgan, Morgan;

every VW review must praise the smoothness of the damped grab handles. Dem da rulz! I'll let you off though, as you're still new to the VW club.

(That said, I suspect Swiss could do something useful with the words smooth, damp, grab and handles. Probably in that order, too :))

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not an expert on diesels, but isn't smoke under heavy acceleration the norm?
Other than that, the DSG is the killer feature for me. I can't think of any other car in the golf's class that offers such a wonderful gearbox.
Congrats on the purchase.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm glad you can fit your new dwarfbanger or whatever it's called in there. That's quite impressive for a car that size.

Can you tell me what a DSG 'box does though?

M

·
0 Posts
Your summary is pretty fine I'd say Morgan:)

Along with other cars, I drove a Golf Tdi manual and an A4 Tdi DSG around the Alpine handling course at Millbrook recently.......for me, the Golf does everything in a very understated way.....it'll never be the most enthralling drive, but it tick so many boxes:thumbs:.....as for the DSG box......near perfection....and that comes from a man who traditionally hates automated manuals :cool:

M

·
0 Posts
I'm glad you can fit your new dwarfbanger or whatever it's called in there. That's quite impressive for a car that size.

Take a Selespeed.....and add 'instant' response, without the 'jerk':thumbs:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
DSG = Two clutches, one has the odd gears the other the even gears. The computer has the next gear up/down pre-selected depending on how the car is being driven and at the right point simply switches clutches. The result is lightning quick, super smooth changes (15ms). As there's no torque converter it drives like a manual and is a touch better on fuel than a manual.

I had a Leon FR DSG and loved it.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Good write up there mate. I feel informed and interested about a dull car in a way i never thought i could be! :lol:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
So it chooses when to shift itself without any of that paddle ********?
You can have it in full auto (normal or sport) or choose to override with the paddles (which are optional on a golf :eek: ) or by moving the stick over to manual and pushing it up for up a gear and down for down a gear. Personally I think that's the wrong way round, at least Alfa's TCT system has it right.

95% of the time you'll leave it in D and let it get on with it.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
shame you couldn't have found a nice oil burning GT ;)
I needed a 5-door (for the kids) and like an auto (hence the DSG).
Interesting you say it's quick, I wonder if it's been re-mapped in the past? I had one of these trying it on with me and thought it was shockingly slow. :confused:
I don't think this one's been fiddled with, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Maybe the chap who was racing you had a duff turbo on his. Without regular oil changes (of the correct viscosity and type), the turbos on the VAG 2.0 TDi can die a slow and painful death.
Good summary Morgan - good luck with the Golf :)

We run a 2003 Golf 1.6 Petrol and besides a service every year (up to now) it has been easy motoring. It's now done around 75k, and we hope to go over 100k before thinking of changing it. It returns about 39 to the gallon, has room for 2 children and some shopping..............and is silver :lol:
Cheers. Glad to hear life with a Golf is as trouble-free as I am expecting it to be.
:wow: How on earth did you get 30-33mpg from an old V6 166 with a lady-change gearbox??
I managed to get that from the 166 a number of ways: I recently had Autolusso flush the engine through (several times) and change the oil. I then added a bottle of ZX1 Extralube to the oil, and practised a few basic hypermiling techniques on my daily commute. Oh, and I kept the tyres pumped up 3 psi higher than the recommended standard.
Morgan, Morgan, Morgan;

every VW review must praise the smoothness of the damped grab handles. Dem da rulz! I'll let you off though, as you're still new to the VW club.

(That said, I suspect Swiss could do something useful with the words smooth, damp, grab and handles. Probably in that order, too :))
Yes, I'm terribly sorry, and you are absolutely right. Did I mention that the damped action of the grab handles is first-rate? No? Too late?
I'm not an expert on diesels, but isn't smoke under heavy acceleration the norm?
Other than that, the DSG is the killer feature for me. I can't think of any other car in the golf's class that offers such a wonderful gearbox.
Congrats on the purchase.
I think a bit of sooty smoke under hard acceleration is to be expected, yes. But the car's due a service soon, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

The bike's called a Stumpjumper, ya doyle! Yes, I was surprised, too. I was all ready to have the wheels off, but it slipped straight in. Fnarr, fnarr.

Oh, and MatthewB's done a fine job of explaining how the DSG system works, to which I have nothing to add. :thumbs:
Your summary is pretty fine I'd say Morgan:)

Along with other cars, I drove a Golf Tdi manual and an A4 Tdi DSG around the Alpine handling course at Millbrook recently.......for me, the Golf does everything in a very understated way.....it'll never be the most enthralling drive, but it tick so many boxes:thumbs:.....as for the DSG box......near perfection....and that comes from a man who traditionally hates automated manuals :cool:
Cheers Sparkster. :thumbs: As you say, "understated" would be a good one-word review. Nothing it does is bad, but nothing is stunning, either. It's just a competent car.
Good write up there mate. I feel informed and interested about a dull car in a way i never thought i could be! :lol:
I do my best, buddy. :D
Not bad for an econobox! ;)
Yep! It does the job.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I don't think this one's been fiddled with, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Maybe the chap who was racing you had a duff turbo on his. Without regular oil changes (of the correct viscosity and type), the turbos on the VAG 2.0 TDi can die a slow and painful death.
Yeah that was probably it.

Na it was deffo slow and crap. :p

:lol::thumbs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts