Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I want to install a K&N Cone filter on my 156 2.5 v6.. is it advisable to do so?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Is there a problem with your original air filter housing?
ie: snapped/seized screws on the lid?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think the general consensus is that they sound good but are likely to have negative effect on performance. If you are going to get one then get a cold air induction kit, IE BMC. Even then then those in the know still prefer original box/ resonato.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.. I will check around for prices.. Any idea what it costs?

S

·
0 Posts
I have a GT V6, and on my car under instruction from a local Tuner Garage who has knowledge poking out of every orifice, he said to put a Medium size Ram Air (Cone) filter on, so I came from the throttle Body straight forward then a 90 Bend down too Half way down the Radiator, supported it, and then to put the 2 Oil Breather pipes into a Catch tank (As the Oil Mist that may get put back through the intake can Dumb down the Octane level of the Fuel (how true that is a don't know, ha, But what do I know)
And for me its worked a Treat, I only have a small amount of Induction noise low down if I plant it, but I haven't had any of the Bogged down feeling you usually get. To be honest id rate it above my BMC I had on, also the whole lot was the same price as a BMC and the little nits needed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a GT V6, and on my car under instruction from a local Tuner Garage who has knowledge poking out of every orifice, he said to put a Medium size Ram Air (Cone) filter on, so I came from the throttle Body straight forward then a 90 Bend down too Half way down the Radiator, supported it, and then to put the 2 Oil Breather pipes into a Catch tank (As the Oil Mist that may get put back through the intake can Dumb down the Octane level of the Fuel (how true that is a don't know, ha, But what do I know)
And for me its worked a Treat, I only have a small amount of Induction noise low down if I plant it, but I haven't had any of the Bogged down feeling you usually get. To be honest id rate it above my BMC I had on, also the whole lot was the same price as a BMC and the little nits needed.

Sweet bru... it looks good as well... think I will do the same

·
Registered
150 Posts
I put a cone k&n on my 156 V6. I had a spare MAF sensor and basically removed the large plastic centre section, connected MAF sensor to the flexible pipe and the cone filter on the other end of the MAF sensor. I experienced no problems with that set up. It did increase the exhaust volume a little but I eventually got a K&N filter for the standard box and put it all back to normal. It does sound sporty but how loud you like it is up to personal taste here. Try it and see what you like.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Does the MAF contamination issue affect the 1.9JTD engine ?

I am thinking of fitting a cone filter 'higher up' as I am concerned that my 156 may ingest water into the induction system. My commute route has areas where heavy rainfall causes deep water etc.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
It doesnt effect the engine, it effects the sensor in the MAF, so basically it can effect any car with a MAF.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Guys, I want to install a K&N Cone filter on my 156 2.5 v6.. is it advisable to do so?

Not advisable. The v6 has a wonderful induction raw that doesn't require tampering with.

On a jtdm this would be pointless from a performance aspect as the engines run lean on fuel so more air would not help. However, I do agree the intake is quite low and the current filter is annoyingly difficult to change. If the noise was bearable I'd consider modification of a jtdm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not advisable. The v6 has a wonderful induction raw that doesn't require tampering with.

On a jtdm this would be pointless from a performance aspect as the engines run lean on fuel so more air would not help. However, I do agree the intake is quite low and the current filter is annoyingly difficult to change. If the noise was bearable I'd consider modification of a jtdm.
If so, which would you consider ?

I am a bit wary of the 'washable' elements as has been said the oil can contaminate the MAF.

I have seen cheaper alternatives on ebay but wondered if anyone can recommend any particular ones?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Without looking there's potentially quite alot of room if the the old filter box and snorkle type pipe are removed. Batteries also seem smaller than the original design intended so there could be some space there. The maf housing could also be moved around. There is a huge choice of generic filters and hosing. Most don't require oiling and I'd guess all work. All this could give your air intake a bit of height and confidence in puddles.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts