Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from trying out a 1.9jtdm GT (150) and a 2.4jtdm Brera,(200) and if there's one thing I'd take away from the experience, it's that peopls on here know their stuff, so congratulations to y'all!

I've spent plenty of time on here reading up about the two, and the differences described could not have been more accurate (may as well not have bothered with the test drives:D).

So specifically (for anybody else who is in my boat and weighing the two up:

• Brera genuinely feels much more solid and heavier - put aside the cramped cabin and you feel like you coud dbe driving a big german cruiser, 5 series or something (well, not quite maybe, but relatively!).
  • GT properly feels like a nippy little(ish) sports car by comparison.
  • Upside for the GT is that it genuinely, literally feels faster. If I'd had to guess I'd have said that the GT was substantially quicker off the mark. Of course a look at the official figures will tell you that the Brera is 1.5s quicker on 0-60!
  • Downside for the GT is that it was much bumpier / rattlier / flimsier feeling. The example I took out had something very dodgy going on with the window seal, leading to loads of wind noise on the motorway, as well as a very un-assured gearshift.
  • People aren't joking about the Brera rear seats either. I dont see any way an adult could get their legs in behind the driver, unless the driver is 5ft and has the seat pulled right forwards. I'm a shade under 6ft, and for my natural driving position there was literally about 10-15cm gap!
  • Oh, and if you're in a Brera, people will try and race you. I had a SEAT follow me off the motorway, and back on in the other direction, just to race my up the slip road!
So, in short, not much I didn't already know - though of course it's good to experience it all in the flesh.

Now i just need to have a good think about what I really want from my car... and what the budget allows!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
To be quite frank I think its great you did back to back tests. There's no one's opinion that matters bar your own.
The best way to find out is as you say to try.

So well done for doing just take. Its very very important.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Glad the other AO members could help out.
As you say the newer Alfa's are better still put together. The fact they are heavier makes them feel slower though.

The GT is no lightweight either in my book. But the 159 and Brera are right little chubbers.
But then again they are far safer when you end up in a hedge.
Which probably won't happen because its an Alfa so you'll be on the road side awaiting recovery ;-)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The GT is no lightweight either in my book.
Yep, it's all relative... hardly a hot hatch!

Which probably won't happen because its an Alfa so you'll be on the road side awaiting recovery ;-)
Agh, dont.... I'm still justifying to myself returning to Alfa after 5 years away. And I've not even started justifying it to the missus yet!

Probbaly the single biggest thing in the Brera's favour is the anecdotal reports of it being a little less well acquainted with the AA man. But it's so hard to guage what the realistic difference is likely to be (and it's all a bit luck of the draw anyway!).

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
To be honest my Alfa has given me lots of jip. But they are cheap and easy to maintain.
Mines old and any 13 year old car is going to take a bit of spanner time. But its all but once got me home.

Even running on three cyclinders, or a bottom end failure. Just kept going.

Apart from that once. where it blew a bottom end and I didn't care I kept running it at 6k untill it blew a conrod through the sump.

·
Premium Member
42,857 Posts
Out of the two I reckon you'll feel a little bit more special in the Brera :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Nice write up Dan

Now just imagine a sorted GT on decent quality suspension, uprated ARB's and remap to over 200bhp and huge amount of torque..:thumbs: Thats what i chose in my clover 170 q2..And would everytime over the Brera..Still in argument, i could never own a standard GT in oem trim. So its what suits you best buddy. Good luck on the right choice. Make sure you drive a decent example of a GT though.:)

Damien.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd like to buy a brera after my 147 maybe in 12 months time or so but have been worried about the headroom- I haven't test drove one yet. I'm around 6 ft 1 or 2 do you think I would struggle for headroom?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now just imagine a sorted GT on decent quality suspension, uprated ARB's and remap to over 200bhp and huge amount of torque..:thumbs: Thats what i chose in my clover 170 q2..And would everytime over the Brera..Still in argument, i could never own a standard GT in oem trim.
Yeah, I'm starting to think along those lines!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to buy a brera after my 147 maybe in 12 months time or so but have been worried about the headroom- I haven't test drove one yet. I'm around 6 ft 1 or 2 do you think I would struggle for headroom?
No actually - that's one thing I've read on here that I didn't find to be the case.
As I say, I'm a good 5'11" and there was plenty of clearance. I do always drive with the seat quite far back, which makes my body shaped a bit slumped, I guess (storing up back problems for old age!).
Also, I had the blind on the SV roof open the whole time I was driving. Although I checked out the electric open and shut, I didn't think to check how much closer to my head it made the roof!

Your extra couple of inches may start to make it a tight squeeze, mind (as the actress said to the bishop).

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I own a bog standard 150bhp clatterbox GT.
It feels averagely quick, though sometimes I think I don't have anywhere near 150bhp. The ride is harsh at best. It bumps and rattles a bit, though in mine the cabin is well screwed together and it seems to be the suspension that suffers noises and all but the anti-roll bar bushes have been changed.

The seats are the best I've ever sat in, ever (did I say ever? well they are :D). Having the radio on keeps the little bit of clatter (at idle) and clunky suspension quiet, so that's what I do. The 1.9 diesel has potential but sounds absolutely sheite.

The GT looks very nice, even in black (buy red or that met blue though).

I've been a passenger in a Brera 2.4. It felt fast, very fast. It sounded lovely for smoker, I think the 5-pot is a beaut. This one was also red. It was comfortable and I don't care what the rear seats are like because I never use them. Two of our three cars are two seaters and even the GT is not large in the rear!
Again it felt to me much, much faster than the GT. I will say though as a passenger you feel how quick the car is compared to the driver.

I'd buy a Brera, although if I'm honest a 939 Spider :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This is a very interesting discussion especially in the face of the back to back tests, I collected my Brera on Wednesday after much self debate over which car to buy. I was running a 156 JTS and loved it, very happy with the car and would have been happy to keep it. Having said that I fancied a change and started looking at GT's and 159's, the Brera was a dream wish. Having driven a GT a while ago I felt it was very similar to my 156 and to be honest I wanted a "real change", so much so that I found myself looking at Mercs and Bmers( shame on me, I know) and let me tell you, they ain't as great to drive as many would have you believe or be as trouble free. Anyway, this Brera turned up, ticked the boxes and I bought it. Wow, my first drive was a 250 or so mile drive home and it lived up to every expectation, cruised beautifully on the motorway, showed excellent fuel economy and was comfortable. Not only that but you have a great sense of presence. Love it.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
A recommendation enough I'd say. ^^
PM'd you Phil.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I for one don't like the front of the GT much- which is why I bought the 147 rather than a GT in the first place. If they put the same front appearance as the 147, 159 and brera on the GT, it would be much nicer. Overall the Brera is a much nicer looking car inside and out ( IMO) so I would buy one of them if I were you

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I for one don't like the front of the GT much- which is why I bought the 147 rather than a GT in the first place. If they put the same front appearance as the 147, 159 and brera on the GT, it would be much nicer. Overall the Brera is a much nicer looking car inside and out ( IMO) so I would buy one of them if I were you
And on the other hand...

The 147 looks pinched at the front like it's permanently sucking a lemon. The Brera looks the business from the front but then they stuck that awful big girl booty on the back. The GT looks right from every angle.

:)

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
And on the other hand...

The 147 looks pinched at the front like it's permanently sucking a lemon. The Brera looks the business from the front but then they stuck that awful big girl booty on the back. The GT looks right from every angle.

:)
I think the GT's front is almost right. Djs93's 147 is a late model car and I do like the later headlights on it. They would look good on the GT. However the grills etc either side of the V grill on the GT look the dogs. Quite aggressive :thumbs:

·
Registered
743 Posts
good thread this , ive had a GT and loved it , in a 159 now ,but for me the difference between the 2 coupes is desire , i truly adored the way the GT looked when it came out and vowed i'd have one one day , the brera is stunning but its never made me want one in the same way

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Brer

Really?

Which engine... and what sort of figures are we talking?
Going off the on board numbers, so probably that that accurate, it showed a reported MPG of 45 at an average speed of 69 MPH over a 250+ mile journey, mainly on fast A roads and Motorways.
I was fairly pleased with that.
It's a 2.4, by the way.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I really like the aggressive look of the front of the brera but to me the back end let's it down, it's why I chose the GT over it :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts