Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right, i have recently purchased a lovely alfa 156 2.0ts 2000 reg
i have had a few 'niggles' with her so i thought i would share what went wrong and how i sorted it in case it helps anyone else out.

problem 1 --- the heater would only stay at one temperatue = pretty cold
solution --- under the drivers side of the centre console there are 2 motors that operate the flaps for the heat temperature and the air direction to the feet. the lower of these 2 motors is the one that does the heat and it had died on mine. i replaced it with on from a breakers yard and voila, fixed! to get access you need to remove the carpet panel by removing the screw near the drivers seat and then popping out the poppers. once the carpet is removed you just lie on your back and stick your head in the drivers footwell near the pedals and look up. its a bit fiddly but you can gain a bit more access by unclipping some of the wires so you can move them out of the way.

problem 2 --- i had a misfire mainly at low revs and most noticable when the car was warm.
solution --- i removed the ht leads and found oil/liquid in the 3 plug holes nearest to the cambelt. i soaked up as much of the liquid as i could using kitchen roll and then i removed all the plugs and cleaned them all up using wd40 and contact cleaner. i then gave the ht leads a good clean using the same method but before i put the plugs back in i turned the engine over for a few seconds with the plugs removed so that any liquid that ran into the cylinder would not cause the piston to hydrolock. i then put all the plugs back in and tested the car.... no misfire, just lovely smooth power.

problem 3 --- some of the clips had broken off the sideskirts causing them to come away from the car
solution --- i bought some sealant from A1 motorstores and ran a bead along the sill where the sideskirts meet it. i then taped it up with duck tape and jammed some pieces of wood against the corner of the skirt to help take some of the weight. 24hrs later it had cured and it seems to be fixed like a good un

problem 4 --- fuel guage doesnt register full when i brim the tank
solution --- none found yet :)

problem 5 --- the heater was only blowing on my face and wouldnt respond to the heater controls.
solution --- i had fitted and aftermarket stereo that was pushing against the air duct, the flap couldnt move so it stayed in the 'face' position. i removed the offending stereo and i am stuck with the original until i can fettle the aftermarket on to fit.

other than that its been ok... only a few bits of broken and the drivers sun visor needed sorting. i sourced these from a local breaker for not much money and along with the oil/filter and air filter service i gave it when i bought it, its pretty much tip top. hopefully it will stay that way eh? :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:)
im guessing i have to take the rear seats out to do that
the bottom half is pretty straight forward but how does the back part come out if that the case?

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
No 5 Take the grill off the top of the dash and you can see the heater flap . Trim some off it with a sharp blade , probably only needs a couple of mil off it , Mine wont move if i have it in foot position then move it to face position , nowt blow out of new position , so i turn the heat up full and move the postion dial a few times and with the heat it then moves freely . Try it before you trim any off :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers.. i might try the heat thing. when i originally installed the stereo my heater wasnt blowing out hot air so i couldnt put it to full heat.
now my heat flap is sorted i will stick the new stereo back in and see if i can persuade the flap to move with a little heat.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Only the lower half of the r/h seat need to come out, then there is a panel held down by 3 philips head screws, it's under ther but you do need a special tool to release it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts